[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Ethernet Card ID

petera@comix.cs.uoregon.edu (Peter Adamson) (10/19/90)

Hi Netters:

We are seeking a utility that will obtain the ethernet card address
after the card has been installed in the Mac (so the user can't
see the label on the card).  IBM versions come with diagnostic
software for this, as does Nuvotek(tm), other Mac cards do not
have this capability.

I'm no Mac guru but I assume the ethernet address should be
available at some RAM addr.  Does anybody know of a (preferably PD)
program that can get the address?

Thanx in advance.

            |  Peter Adamson
  __ _  _   |  Univ of Oregon
 /_/(  /_|  |  (petera@cs.uoregon.edu)
/   _)/  |  |
            |  They don't know what they don't know...
            |					-  An Englishman, I believe
            |  Peter Adamson
  __ _  _   |  Univ of Oregon
 /_/(  /_|  |  (petera@cs.uoregon.edu)

kanala@sc2a.unige.ch (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct18.190308.3678@cs.uoregon.edu>, petera@comix.cs.uoregon.edu (Peter Adamson) writes:
> Hi Netters:
>
> We are seeking a utility that will obtain the ethernet card address
> after the card has been installed in the Mac (so the user can't
> see the label on the card).  IBM versions come with diagnostic
> software for this, as does Nuvotek(tm), other Mac cards do not
> have this capability.
>
> I'm no Mac guru but I assume the ethernet address should be
> available at some RAM addr.  Does anybody know of a (preferably PD)
> program that can get the address?
>
> Thanx in advance.

>             |  Peter Adamson
>   __ _  _   |  Univ of Oregon
>  /_/(  /_|  |  (petera@cs.uoregon.edu)
> /   _)/  |  |
>             |  They don't know what they don't know...
>             |					-  An Englishman, I believe
> --
>             |  Peter Adamson
>   __ _  _   |  Univ of Oregon
>  /_/(  /_|  |  (petera@cs.uoregon.edu)

NCSA Telnet does that. Menu Network, menuitem Show Network Numbers ..., shown
are IP Number, EthernetNumber, Slot, Subnet Mask. NCSA Telnet is in public
domain. Address: National Center for Supercomputing Applications, University
of Illinois, Software Development - NCSA Telnet, 152 Computing Applications
Bldg., 605 E. Springfield Ave., Champaign IL 61820, softdev@ncsa.uiuc.edu,
softdev@ncsavmsa.bitnet

Roman Kanala, University of Geneva, kanala@sc2a.unige.ch