[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Classic Pricing

herb@katana.sybase.com (Herb Lison) (10/26/90)

Businessland is offering company employees here a corporate discount
on the new Mac products.  They are quoting a price of $850 for the
Mac Classic, with 1Mb Ram and and a single floppy.  Does this seem
like a reasonable price?  Also, is this configuration sufficient to
run the various games and educational software packages out there
for the Mac?  I'm thinking of getting a low end machine for a Christmas
present for my kids.

Thanks in advance,

Herb Lison

mute@wpi.WPI.EDU (Joshua Thompson Brandt) (10/26/90)

In article <11485@sybase.sybase.com> herb@katana.sybase.com (Herb Lison)
 writes:
>Businessland is offering company employees here a corporate discount
>on the new Mac products.  They are quoting a price of $850 for the
>Mac Classic, with 1Mb Ram and and a single floppy.  Does this seem
>like a reasonable price?  Also, is this configuration sufficient to
>run the various games and educational software packages out there
>for the Mac?  I'm thinking of getting a low end machine for a Christmas
>present for my kids.

I am a student, and therefore don't have much money. I'm not sure about
the statistics on a Mac Classic, but I run a Macintosh Plus with an
enternal floppy, and have no problem playing games, writing occasional
papers, and running small Hypercard stacks. I have several system disks,
one with a tiny system, almost completely deviod of DAs and such, and with
only virus protection INITs and a few other utilities. I use this one
for games and playing sounds, using Mac CD from the system disk.
I have a second system disk, with a few of my favorite fonts installed, and
some handy DA's and a few more INITs than the other disk. I use
this one for Hypercard and word processing.
I haven't really had any problems with this. I have a Fuji external floppy,
which I also haven't had any problems with. I do have loads of floppys
lying around on my desk, but that's pretty normal.
However, I really wouldn't like to be running it WITHOUT an external
floppy....

========================================`\  Joshua Brandt
  That is not dead which can eternal lie \\  mute@wpi.WPI.EDU
   But with strange eons,                | =================================
    Even death may die...       (hpl)    //  Ia, Ia, Cthulhu!
========================================'/  Ia, Ia, Shub-Niggurath

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/28/90)

In article <1990Oct26.145334.29139@wpi.WPI.EDU> mute@wpi.WPI.EDU (Joshua Thompson Brandt) writes:

>I am a student, and therefore don't have much money. I'm not sure about
>the statistics on a Mac Classic, but I run a Macintosh Plus with an
>enternal floppy, and have no problem playing games, writing occasional
>papers, and running small Hypercard stacks. I have several system disks,
>one with a tiny system, almost completely deviod of DAs and such, and with
>only virus protection INITs and a few other utilities. I use this one
>for games and playing sounds, using Mac CD from the system disk.
>I have a second system disk, with a few of my favorite fonts installed, and
>some handy DA's and a few more INITs than the other disk. I use
>this one for Hypercard and word processing.
>I haven't really had any problems with this. I have a Fuji external floppy,
>which I also haven't had any problems with. I do have loads of floppys
>lying around on my desk, but that's pretty normal.
>However, I really wouldn't like to be running it WITHOUT an external

Just a thought:  in theory, you *CAN* run Word on a *single* floppy on the
Classic.  The reason why Josh couldn't is because he only has 779K on his
floppy whereas the Classic owner could have 1404K on his/her floppy.
Then again, maybe Josh just doesn't like Microsoft and does one better in
using WriteNow instead!  Anyway, WriteNow is *THE* choice for floppy based
systems, IMHO of course. :)

****    My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public   ****
Norton Chia	| 	My address is carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
Micro Support	| "I wonder if they'll have built-in spell chequers soon?"