[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Infinity Turbo-Floppy 1.4

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/19/90)

Has anyone got experience with the following product (p40 of
MacWarehouse catalogue)

Infinity Turbo-floppy 1.4:  Connects to any SCSI-equipped mac,
provides 1.44 Mb of storage (like Apple's FDHD drives), but with the
high speed data transfer of the SCSI port.  Can also read, write, and
format DOS disks, so you can transfer data to and from PCs  $359.

Q1:  Is this floppy drive fully-compatible with FDHD-initialized floppies?

Q2:  Is it really any faster than a FDHD drive?

Q3:  Has anyone tried installing this within an original Mac II?

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

CJENKINSR@cc.cut.oz.au (Richard Jenkins) (10/19/90)

--

We looked at these at their introduction, but were not impressed.
The drive I saw (it may be different in the US, I don't know)

It's OK for Mac Plus owners with plenty of money. If I were a Mac Plus owner
with plenty of money I'd buy a Classic instead.

BTW, the Apple external superdrive price dropped in Australia on October 16, so
you can buy an 800k drive or a 1.44Mb drive for the same price. How is it in
the U.S. and elsewhere?
Richard Jenkins          Tel: (09) 351 7864                  AppleLink:AUST0176
Curtin Computer Shop     Fax: (09) 351 2673                 QMail:(09) 351 7415
Curtin University     Perth, Western Australia       cjenkinsr@cc.curtin.edu.au

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/22/90)

Our university will not offer FDHD ROM/SWIM upgrades to Mac II's.
Does anyone have a university that offers these upgrades?  How much do
they cost?  I looked in MacUser magazine, and the upgrade was $500+
from a commercial dealer, nearly 1/4 of the original cost my Mac II!

Is there a place to get a FDHD ROM/SWIM upgrade for less money?

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/24/90)

> It's OK for Mac Plus owners with plenty of money. If I were a Mac Plus owner
> with plenty of money I'd buy a Classic instead.

It may also be great for Mac II owners stuck with orphaned machines.
Apple charges $550 just to change the ROMs & add a SWIM chip.  Then
you get to pay $220 for a floppy drive unit.  Total cost of the
upgrade is $770, i.e. as much as a whole Mac Classic, or nearly 1/3
the cost of my $2450 Mac II.  Tyranny!

On the other hands, some companies (not just PLI) offer SCSI 1.4Mb
floppy drives for $250, i.e. ONE THIRD of the cost.

In article <77800040@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>> It's OK for Mac Plus owners with plenty of money. If I were a Mac Plus owner
>> with plenty of money I'd buy a Classic instead.
>
>It may also be great for Mac II owners stuck with orphaned machines.
>Apple charges $550 just to change the ROMs & add a SWIM chip.  Then
>you get to pay $220 for a floppy drive unit.  Total cost of the
>upgrade is $770, i.e. as much as a whole Mac Classic, or nearly 1/3
>the cost of my $2450 Mac II.  Tyranny!
>
>On the other hands, some companies (not just PLI) offer SCSI 1.4Mb
>floppy drives for $250, i.e. ONE THIRD of the cost.

Hmmm, this offers some interesting possibilities:  Buy Mac Classic.  Move
SWIM and FDHD to Mac II.  Apply high voltage to IWM and 800K drive.  Get
them replaced under warantee... Sell Classic.

francis@magrathea.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct24.033116.4390@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
[quoted complaints about cost of upgrading II to FDHD]

>Hmmm, this offers some interesting possibilities:  Buy Mac Classic.  Move
>SWIM and FDHD to Mac II.  Apply high voltage to IWM and 800K drive.  Get
>them replaced under warantee... Sell Classic.

I like it.  Simple.  Unethical.  Immoral.  Profitable.  Nice.
Of course, you'd have to have a hell of a warranty to cover the drive
in your II (if it came with the machine), given that your machine is
a couple of years old now.

(sigh) They're too careful.

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| Non sequiturs make me eat lampshades	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   				       	      |

In article <1990Oct29.010759.7287@midway.uchicago.edu> francis@magrathea.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <1990Oct24.033116.4390@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>[quoted complaints about cost of upgrading II to FDHD]
>>
>>Hmmm, this offers some interesting possibilities:  Buy Mac Classic.  Move
>>SWIM and FDHD to Mac II.  Apply high voltage to IWM and 800K drive.  Get
>>them replaced under warantee... Sell Classic.
>
>I like it.  Simple.  Unethical.  Immoral.  Profitable.  Nice.
>Of course, you'd have to have a hell of a warranty to cover the drive
>in your II (if it came with the machine), given that your machine is
>a couple of years old now.
>
>(sigh) They're too careful.

That wasn't exactly what I had in mind-- that would still leave you with an
800K drive and IWM chip, plus a classic.  What I had in mind was applying
enough power to make the chip and drive unidentifiable as to 800K/FDHD, and
then installing the burned components in the Classic, and having THEM replaced
under the classic waranty.  Now, if you thought THAT was unethical (it was),
consider how you are going to get the IIx ROM needed for the FDHD....

BTW, I have II IIs under warranty-- Applecare.  (hmm, maybe I ought to just
use a little white out and paint an 'x' on the board next time I bring it
in for service.....)
Tax the rich, and feed the poor -- until there are, rich no more.