[net.columbia] A new Shuttle to replace Challenger: What Name?

In article <271@tolerant.UUCP> berry@tolerant.UUCP writes:

>> Further thought:  Tragic though ALL seven deaths were, the teacher, the
>> civilian, Christa McAuliffe, whom all the children were watching,
>> has stuck the hearts of the nation as the most tragic of all.
>> May I suggest that a new shuttle, once built, be named
>> the Space Shuttle McAuliffe.

>	Resnik, McNair, or Jarvis.  To single out McAuliffe seems to
>	me to be supporting the attitude expressed by John Glenn,
>	that astronauts are different from civilians, (Because they're
>	paid for taking chances? I don't know!) and thus civilians
>	have no business being in space.  Poppycock.

Since the Russians have named a crater for her, I don't see that naming the
shuttle after her is such a pressing thing either; one of the good things
the media did (even though they played her upon a lot) was to impress upon
us the diversity of the crew, and it would be a bit unfair to the others to
single her out so dramatically.

I suggest a new shuttle should be named _Endeavour_.  It is a name Laden
with a history of scientific exploration, and it fits well with the other
names.  Or, if the remebrance is prefered, name the new shuttle _Challenger_.

C. Wingate

dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) (02/04/86)

In message <3035@umcp-cs.UUCP>, mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:

> I suggest a new shuttle should be named _Endeavour_.  It is a name Laden
> with a history of scientific exploration, and it fits well with the other
> names.  Or, if the remebrance is prefered, name the new shuttle _Challenger_.
>
> C. Wingate

_Endeavour_ would be a good name, but not _Challenger_.  Call me
sentimental, but when a ship is destroyed, its name should not used
again.  To me, that would almost be like saying "Well, it blew up.  Oh,
well, we'll just make a new one and everything will be OK."  As for
naming it _Christa_ or _McAlliffe_ (sp?), I don't think that should be
done, since there were 6 other people who died, too.  I know, she was a
civilian, not a military person trained to deal with the possibility of
getting killed.  But favoring her over the other 6 does not seem fair.
Now if we could get 7 new shuttles instead of just 1, ... :-).

BTW, did the Russians run out of craters on Venus or what?  Surely they
could find 5 more to name after the men abord the shuttle.  I like the
idea of naming 7 of the newly discovered moons of Uranus after the
astronauts.

					Don Nash

UUUU        UUUU
 UU          UU      UUCP:  ...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!dlnash
 UU TTTTTTTTTUUTTT   APRA:  dlnash@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU
 UU TT    TT UU TT
 UU       TT UU
  UU      TTUU
    UUUUUUUU         The University of Texas at Austin
          TT         Hook 'em Horns!
         TTTT

morgan@h-sc1.UUCP (windsor morgan) (02/05/86)

> BTW, did the Russians run out of craters on Venus or what?  Surely they
> could find 5 more to name after the men abord the shuttle.  I like the
> idea of naming 7 of the newly discovered moons of Uranus after the
> astronauts.
>

> 					Don Nash

	I think that the Soviets decided to name the craters after the women
only because they (or the International Astronomical Union) decided to use
women's names for formations on the planet Venus.
	Personally, I ****don't**** think naming the moons after the seven
astronauts is a  good idea. If we want to remember the seven astronomically,
perhaps other formations elsewhere or, not as good an idea, planetoids.
--
'Verily, there be no leader as wise as the Vision!'

                             Windsor Morgan
                             Harvard College
                             Cambridge, MA 02138
                             {decvax,ihnp4}!seismo!harvard!{h-sc1,h-sc4}!morgan
                             OR
                             {harvard,allegra,genrad,ihnp4}!wjh12!cfa!morgan

nunes@utai.UUCP (Joe) (02/05/86)

> BTW, did the Russians run out of craters on Venus or what?  Surely they
> could find 5 more to name after the men abord the shuttle.  I like the
> idea of naming 7 of the newly discovered moons of Uranus after the
> astronauts.

It is the policy of Soviet map-makers to exclusively label features on
Venus with feminine names.

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (02/05/86)

> I suggest a new shuttle should be named _Endeavour_.  It is a name Laden
> with a history of scientific exploration, and it fits well with the other
> names.  Or, if the remebrance is prefered, name the new shuttle _Challenger_.
> C. Wingate

Actually, I like *Phoenix* -- which someone already mentioned.  All shuttles
rise 'from flames' -- and certainly, given the Challenger disaster -- which
I pray will be a 'kick-in-the-pants' to move on -- if the next shuttle is
a newer generation.

Barb

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (02/06/86)

In article <2911@ut-ngp.UUCP>, dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) writes:
> _Endeavour_ would be a good name, but not _Challenger_.  Call me
> sentimental, but when a ship is destroyed, its name should not used
> again.  To me, that would almost be like saying "Well, it blew up.  Oh,
> well, we'll just make a new one and everything will be OK."  As for
> naming it _Christa_ or _McAlliffe_ (sp?), I don't think that should be
> done, since there were 6 other people who died, too.  I know, she was a
> civilian, not a military person trained to deal with the possibility of
> getting killed.

     First, there is PLENTY of precedent for naming vessels after older
destroyed vessels - otherwise, we'd never have an Enterprise.

     Second, why do you believe Christa McAuliffe wasn't "trained to deal
with the possibility of getting killed"?  It doesn't take a great deal of
intelligence to deduce the (tragically, now realized) explosive potential
of gigantic amounts of LOX and LOH, and I'm sure that the training she
underwent did not make light of the dangers.  No, she wasn't military, but
neither was Gregory Jarvis, and besides, most of the military isn't trained
to deal with getting killed, either, they're just expected to DO it, if
necessary.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren

In article <3035@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:

>I suggest a new shuttle should be named _Endeavour_.  It is a name Laden
>with a history of scientific exploration, and it fits well with the other
>names.

        I LIKE it! _Endeavour_ is a very appropriate name!
--

                                Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (02/06/86)

In article <2911@ut-ngp.UUCP> dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP writes:
>BTW, did the Russians run out of craters on Venus or what?  Surely they
>could find 5 more to name after the men abord the shuttle.  I like the
>idea of naming 7 of the newly discovered moons of Uranus after the
>astronauts.

I suspect that the the trick is that we are talking about the planet VENUS
(you know, as in the goddess of love, etc.). Having a feature of a planet
normally associated with females named after a male seems somehow
inappropriate.

Okay, so call me a purist...

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

Give an ape control of its environment and it will fill the world with bananas.

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (02/07/86)

> In message <3035@umcp-cs.UUCP>, mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>
> > I suggest a new shuttle should be named _Endeavour_.  It is a name Laden
> > with a history of scientific exploration, and it fits well with the other
> > names.  Or, if the remebrance is prefered, name the new shuttle _Challenger_.
> >
> > C. Wingate
>
> _Endeavour_ would be a good name, but not _Challenger_.  Call me
> sentimental, but when a ship is destroyed, its name should not used
> again.  To me, that would almost be like saying "Well, it blew up.  Oh,
> well, we'll just make a new one and everything will be OK."

How about "Challenger 7"?  The original mercury capsules were all named
"<something> 7", e.g., "Friendship 7", "Liberty Bell 7", "Freedom 7", etc.
The 7 in that case referred to the original 7 astronauts.  The 7 now
will also pay tribute to the seven who were lost.

BTW, do we really want to replace the shuttle?  Would it be wiser to place
the money toward the development of the next generation space vehicle?
As was posted by someone else earlier, the shuttle is a hightmarish
engineering kludge.  NASA has already mentioned something called the
"space plane".  This is a vehicle that takes off and lands as a conventional
airplane with jet engines but reaches a speed of mach 6 (presumably at
a very high altitude) before blasting into orbit with rocket motors.
It is 100% resuable, except for the fuel of course :-).

brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (02/07/86)

In article <2911@ut-ngp.UUCP> dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) writes:
>BTW, did the Russians run out of craters on Venus or what?  Surely they
>could find 5 more to name after the men abord the shuttle.  I like the
>idea of naming 7 of the newly discovered moons of Uranus after the
>astronauts.

The two people that the Russians named craters for were non-military people.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (02/07/86)

> ... it would be a bit unfair to single out [Ms. McCauliffe] so
> dramatically ...

One of the things that initially made the shuttle incident seem
particularly tragic to me was the idea that Ms. McCauliffe was just an
ordinary citizen, a teacher who had in essence won a sort of "contest" to
be on the shuttle, but then it had turned out so tragically.

Subsequently, though, I read her essay which won her the position on the
shuttle.  In it, she explained that all her life she had been interested
in the space program, and had wanted to be an astronaut, but had been
discouraged from it by the societal pressures upon women which discouraged
women from becoming astronauts.  She concluded by saying that, while she
couldn't "start her life over" and become an astronaut now that things had
changed, this gave her an opportunity to participate in the program.

I have since come to think of her more as someone who was apparently well
familiar with the nature of the space program, including apparently the
risks, and someone who, had things been different, might have been one
of the regular crew herself.

This does not in any way reduce the tragedy of the disaster, but (sort of
like the parable of the workers who were hired in the evening but paid
the same as those who worked all day, I guess) makes me think of her more
as "one of the crew".  Thus I think any monument to the 7 astronauts should
honor them equally.
--
UUCP: Ofc:  jer@peora.UUCP  Home: jer@jerpc.CCUR.UUCP  CCUR DNS: peora, pesnta
  US Mail:  MS 795; CONCURRENT Computer Corp. SDC; (A Perkin-Elmer Company)

	"There are other places that are also the world's end ...
	 But this is the nearest ... here and in England." -TSE

greg@nmtvax.UUCP (Greg Titus) (02/07/86)

> I suggest a new shuttle should be named _Endeavour_.  It is a name Laden
> with a history of scientific exploration, and it fits well with the other
> names.  Or, if the remebrance is prefered, name the new shuttle _Challenger_.
>
> C. Wingate

_Phoenix_, I think, would be appropriate.

greg
--

Greg Titus                  ..!ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!greg     (uucp)
NM Tech Computer Center     ..!cmcl2!lanl!nmtvax!greg        (uucp)

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (02/14/86)

I would like to suggest 'Phoenix', in reference to the legend of the
Phoenix, a bird risen from the ashes.

                                ihnp4-\
                sdcsvax-\              \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!andre
                hplabs--/              /
                         ucbvax!calma-/

Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C
Salt Lake City, Utah 84117

miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) (02/21/86)

I would like to propose "EAGLE", in honor of the high flying endagered species
of birds that sometimes symbolizes the high spirits, and hopes of the american
people, and of those people throughout the world who dare to take the risks and
push humanity one step foward.

					    BIG DAVE.

--

David P. Miller - Loral Instrumentation.           /    USUAL   \
sdcsvax!sdcc3!loral!miller                         \ DISCLAIMER /