[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Sad Mac - help!

su0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sherman Uitzetter) (10/24/90)

     I have an old Fat Mac (circa 1985) to which I've upgraded the ROMS
and floppy drive, and added a Dove MacSnap 548s(??) (not sure of the
number - it's the one with  2megs + scsi).
     Recently (within the last two months), it's been acting up on me. I'll
be using it and suddenly lots of vertical, randomly flickering lines will jump
around on the screen image, and the computer will freeze. When I try to
reboot I'll get a sad mac. Today the sad mac code was 020800 but I've
gotten other codes that I can't remember. When I wait awhile (a day, say)
I can power up my mac and use it as if nothing happened, sometimes for
hours, but eventually it will freeze and sad mac.
     Is this a common occurence with older macs? With Dove boards?
With everything I buy? Is there a fix? What's the deal?
     Any sort of help would be appreciated. Please send email.

-Sherman.

rick@lrark.UUCP (Rick Mobley) (10/30/90)

In article <ob9_h9m00VoqMCkkpk@andrew.cmu.edu> su0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sherman Uitzetter) writes:

 >     I have an old Fat Mac (circa 1985) to which I've upgraded the ROMS
 >and floppy drive, and added a Dove MacSnap 548s(??) (not sure of the
 >number - it's the one with  2megs + scsi).
 >     Recently (within the last two months), it's been acting up on me. I'll
 >be using it and suddenly lots of vertical, randomly flickering lines will jump
 >around on the screen image, and the computer will freeze.

Its time to replace the power supply. That is the most common point of failure
I see when extras are added inside. Shop around for a replacement. The new
replacement power supplies should hold up better.

--
rick@lrark.UUCP       *    bang path --> uunet!ddi1!lrark!rick    *
Ricky Mobley          *          LRTUG (501) 224-9454             *