[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Can the IIsi support 1/2 height drives

n67786@lehtori.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (10/25/90)

There's been a lot of postings about the size of hard disks in new Macs,
especially the IISi. I'd like to add what I know to cool down the wawes
(correct me if I'm wrong).

On the day the new models were intorduced I was in a position to see one
of those case open (IISi). Now the LC case is definitely too low for any
aother than 1/3 height drive, but it looks like like there should be
enough room for a 1/2 height drive in the IISi. A possible reason for
still using 1/3 height drives would be that Apple has bought such a
large number of drives (to cut down unit costs) that the price is
actually competitive agains larger ones and is therefore using them in
places where they're not absolutely needed (manufacturers of the drives
could also be boosting the market with low prices). For the power budget
I don't unfortunately have any first hand information, but I'd quess it
shouldn't be a problem.

Then again, it's not possible to by one without the internal hard disk,
so that releaves you from even thinking about it :-) (at least for now).
----
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@lehtori.tut.fi                Tampere, Finland, Europe
--

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (10/31/90)

In article <1333@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> pasrich@boole.seas.ucla.edu (Puneet Pasrich/;093091;eeugrad) writes:
>A (non-technical) friend is thinking of buying a IIsi.  We were thinking
>of buying the min. setup that Apple sells and then putting in our own
>drives.  He'd probably get a Quantum 105 or a 120.
>
>1) Will the drive physically fit?  Are the drives that come with the si
>1/2 or 1/3 height?
>
>2) Is there enough power for the 1/2 height?
   I had the same question.... so I called the people at Club Mac.  The
president told me that there is no problem installing a 1/2 height drive
(a 1/3 height drive comes with the IIsi).  He said it simply requires a
different bracket.
   As far as enough power... I don't think there would be a problem with it.
I didn't stop to think to ask that question.  I was informed by the people
at Club Mac that they have had 1/2 height drives running in the IIsi, so
it must not be a problem (knock on wood).

--
mark				mrx@dhw68k.cts.com