[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Virtual Memory / hardware deficiencies

anderson@allvax.enet.dec.com (Dave Anderson) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.075308.15261@world.std.com>, boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes...
>                                           ... especially considering that
>the virtual part of that RAM will be unbearably slow (I've used Ready-Set-Go
>with its down-your-throat VM facility, and I've tried Word's load-only-used-
>portion-of-document thing, and as a result, I'm less excited about VM than
>practically any other System 7.0 feature).

Virtual memory doesn't have to be a dog (for at least 20 years I've been using
systems that depend heavily on VM and still provide good performance), but for
reasonable performance it requires both good algorithms and fast disk I/O.  I
strongly suspect that the complaints about it on the Mac are due to the lack of
DMA on the SCSI port; this causes a major cpu hit every time the disk is
accessed, as well as limiting the data transfer rate.

Does anyone know why Apple insists on building machines with designs that
probably aren't a problem for a strictly single-tasking system but are
downright *stupid* for a multitasking system (which the Mac has been ever since
multifinder was invented)?  When the IIfx came out I had hopes that they'd
finally woken up, but the new machines are right back to the apparent attitude
of 'it doesn't matter how badly the machine is crippled as long as costs are
cut by a few dollars'.  Even the crummiest PC-clone offers DMA (not a great
implementation, but still orders of magnitude better than what Apple offers) --
it's not very expensive.

This is all very frustrating for me -- I need to buy a home system 'yesterday'
but there's nothing reasonable out there.  I can't stomach the idea of getting
a PC (the Mac environment is just too far ahead), but Apple refuses to build
decent hardware (and even if they did, we'd probably have to wait for system 17
or so before they actually made use of it).

	Dave

[The above is my opinion only, I know of no-one else who would want it.]

greg@cti1.UUCP (Greg Fabian) (11/01/90)

anderson@allvax.enet.dec.com (Dave Anderson) writes:

>Does anyone know why Apple insists on building machines with designs that
>probably aren't a problem for a strictly single-tasking system but are
>downright *stupid* for a multitasking system (which the Mac has been ever since
>multifinder was invented)?  When the IIfx came out I had hopes that they'd
>finally woken up, but the new machines are right back to the apparent attitude
>of 'it doesn't matter how badly the machine is crippled as long as costs are
>cut by a few dollars'.  Even the crummiest PC-clone offers DMA (not a great
>implementation, but still orders of magnitude better than what Apple offers) --
>it's not very expensive.

I remember the Lisa I used about five years ago - I could have multiple
windows open with multiple applications.  Instead of closing an application
to open another one, I could shrink the window, click a new application,
and go right into it and leave the first window open.  I could move
between these open windows and click the mouse and resume the application.
Kind of like an early X-windows.

I believe the machine had only 1 MB RAM and it had a 10 MB hard disk
with Lisa Calc, Lisa Draw, Lisa Write, etc.  But the effect was better
than multi-finder.  I have to agree with Dave in that sometimes Apple
seems to spend as much time going backwards as it does forwards.

>This is all very frustrating for me -- I need to buy a home system 'yesterday'
>but there's nothing reasonable out there.  I can't stomach the idea of getting
>a PC (the Mac environment is just too far ahead), but Apple refuses to build
>decent hardware (and even if they did, we'd probably have to wait for system 17
>or so before they actually made use of it).

The problem is, Dave, I think we are spoiled.  We don't want a "home
computer" - one where the manufacturer has made all of the configuration
decisions for us.  We want something with as much guts as the iron we
have at work.  Something we can expand so it doesn't get obsolete too
quickly.  Something that doesn't cost an arm, a leg, and a gonad.  Apple
doesn't have it yet.  I don't know if anyone really does.  Maybe a
used VAX 750 for $2000??

--
Greg Fabian

CTI                  (703) 685-5437 |
2121 Crystal Drive                  | Life is a conspiracy of coincidences
Suite 103                           |            - Me
Arlington, DC  22202  greg@cti.com  |