[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Trouble with high-density floppies?

zkyj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (10/10/90)

Does anyone know if high density disks are inherently less reliable than
regular double density floppies?  I have heard rumors of a higher rate of
failures, and have experienced some.  Does the Apple Mac high-density floppy
drive have trouble with HD disks of particular manufacturer?  Will appreciate
any responses in laymen's terms.  Thanks.

kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu (Kenneth B. Kirksey) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct9.181925.327@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> zkyj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Does anyone know if high density disks are inherently less reliable than
>regular double density floppies?  I have heard rumors of a higher rate of
>failures, and have experienced some.  Does the Apple Mac high-density floppy
>drive have trouble with HD disks of particular manufacturer?  Will appreciate
>any responses in laymen's terms.  Thanks.

I have had a couple of hd floppies fail, but no more than DD.  I did discover
an interesting fact about hd floppies the hard way (though I don't know if
this extends to all machines).  I shuttle a lot of files back and forth
between our sun sparcstations and my SE/30 on DOS formatted floppies.  I ran
out of mac hd floppies one night so I decided to reformat the Dos floppy to
Mac.  Well, I got that old initialization failed message.  Ooops.  Dead
floppy I thought.  I tried to reformat another, same deal.  And they would
not reformat back to dos floppies either.  Totally screwed.  And it works
the same way in the other direction.  I tried to dos format a mac formatted
hd floppy on the suns.  Invalid Media or track 0 bad error.
	I never tried using a big magnet on 'em to see if I could set them
straight.  Has anyone else had this problem?
   /        Ken Kirksey          / "I have just a sufficient touch of  \
  /                             /  genius to know that I am not a proper\
 /    "The Computer Engineer   / genius - and I am not much interested in\
/            From Hell"       / second prize.  In the meantime, I expect  \
\                             \ to have quit a lot of fun and do somewhat /
 \       Auburn University     \ less constructive work than I might if  /
  \                             \ I tried as hard as I could."          /
   \  kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu    \                 -ROBERT A. HEINLEIN /

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (10/31/90)

In article <kkirksey.901010190106@lab12.eng.auburn.edu> kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu (Kenneth B. Kirksey) writes:
>I have had a couple of hd floppies fail, but no more than DD.  I did discover
>an interesting fact about hd floppies the hard way (though I don't know if
>this extends to all machines).  I shuttle a lot of files back and forth
>between our sun sparcstations and my SE/30 on DOS formatted floppies.  I ran
>out of mac hd floppies one night so I decided to reformat the Dos floppy to
>Mac.  Well, I got that old initialization failed message.  Ooops.  Dead
>floppy I thought.  I tried to reformat another, same deal.  And they would
>not reformat back to dos floppies either.  Totally screwed.  And it works
>the same way in the other direction.  I tried to dos format a mac formatted
>hd floppy on the suns.  Invalid Media or track 0 bad error.
>	I never tried using a big magnet on 'em to see if I could set them
>straight.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes.  When I worked for Kennect, writing their Rapport software, we had a
big magnet that we used to "destroy" a disk--the Macs wouldn't format a
MSDOS disk (720K).

Mark

--
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

cmpeters@eos.ncsu.edu (C MAVERICK PETERSEN) (10/31/90)

In article <kkirksey.901010190106@lab12.eng.auburn.edu>,
kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu (Kenneth B. Kirksey) writes:

> I have had a couple of hd floppies fail, but no more than DD.  I did discover
> an interesting fact about hd floppies the hard way (though I don't know if
> this extends to all machines).  I shuttle a lot of files back and forth
> between our sun sparcstations and my SE/30 on DOS formatted floppies.  I ran
> out of mac hd floppies one night so I decided to reformat the Dos floppy to
> Mac.  Well, I got that old initialization failed message.  Ooops.  Dead
> floppy I thought.  I tried to reformat another, same deal.  And they would
> not reformat back to dos floppies either.  Totally screwed.  And it works
> the same way in the other direction.  I tried to dos format a mac formatted
> hd floppy on the suns.  Invalid Media or track 0 bad error.

Ahhemmm....

Trouble with HD diskettes?  I'll say!  I'm beginning to wonder if
the SuperDrives are taking me on some SooperDives...

I've had half a dozen HD disks go bad on me (just when I needed 'em, of
course); and I am beginning to get tired of it.  BTW, I've only had one or
two DD disks go bad on me in 4 years! (and how long have this StoopidDrives
been out?!?)

> 	I never tried using a big magnet on 'em to see if I could set them
> straight.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Well, I've never had enough patience to find a big magnet...most of my
uncooperative disks get mutilated/disected as soon as they get ejected
("Initialization failed!") for the third time.

>     +------------------------
>    /        Ken Kirksey
>   /
>  /    "The Computer Engineer
> /            From Hell"
> \
>  \       Auburn University
>   \
>    \  kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu
>     +-------------------------

C. Maverick Petersen				Hey, Support Greenpeace.

"A Fellow Hellian (BSCPE/BSEE)"

North Carolina State University

mav@eceugs.ncsu.edu
Somebody please send me to Colorado...

		I've gotta get away from Jesse Helms!

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (10/31/90)

I also sometimes have problems reformatting MS-dos floppies on the mac,
and also theother way around. When I need the disk very hard, then i put
it up in front of my speaker, as close to the magnet as possible. Then
it will almost always work again.

But I am not sure if I can trust such  disks, so until now I have been
returning them to the shop when I have got the programs transfered to a
"safe" disk. They just swap them without any problems. They gve a
lifetime waranty, so there is no problem, and I even gets my stock of
disks renewed once in a while.

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (11/01/90)

From article <46168@apple.Apple.COM>, by marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson):
> Yes.  When I worked for Kennect, writing their Rapport software, we had a
> big magnet that we used to "destroy" a disk--the Macs wouldn't format a
> MSDOS disk (720K).

Bulk tape erasers work nicely, too.  (Got mine at Radio Shack expressly
for this purpose.)
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (james c oconnor) (11/02/90)

Along a similar note - my Dad bought about 20 Kao HD disks - 13 of which
are bad a year latter.  He only uses them to back up his hard disk.

I'm not too happy with the super drives or the disks.

Jim