[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIci HD Problem...

chapman@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul Chapman) (11/02/90)

In article 6526, Mark Sartor writes:
>Setup: IIci, 8 meg ram, Quantom 80 meg hd, Apple 21" display,
>old 21" display card (fully populated), system 6.0.5, After Dark,
>Disinfectant Init (Just loaded & ran Claris Filemaker PRO...
>
>Anyway, the hard disk refused to boot... NO WAY! So re-formatted it.
>Very Little on it... (No problem with virii as far as Disin 2.3 is
>concerned) - Attempted to move a Filemaker Pro File into another
>folder & the Icon Poped Back! with no Error Message!. The shortly there
>after the motor in the hard disk sounded like it was slowing down,
>then it speeded back up ????     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  This appears to be a problem inherent in Quantum hard drives. I have a
(Microtech) Quantum ProDrive 40 and used to get the same thing intermittantly.
So I sent the beast back for repairs. Some time later, it came back with a
note attached to it saying 'tested good' or something like that, ie they
probably turned it on, found it worked and sent it back.

  Once I got it back, the problem never recurred, but it has been replaced
with a new ailment. Every once in a while, the drive decides to make a sort
of rattley-rattley-rattley noise, which slowes it down and drives me bezerk.
I'm thinking of sending it back again, but I'm afraid (since this problem
is intermittent too) that they'll do the same thing as before and the
problem will never be solved.

  BTW, on that note, can anyone out there who has had the same problem(s) and
who has some time, e-mail me with your horror stories about this? I would
like to use them when dealing with the Microtech people to convince them
that there's really something wrong.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

                     ___________________________________
 ___________________/ This message brought to you by... \___________________
|     "Why stop now, just when I'm hating it" (the life of an undergrad)    |
|         Paul Chapman, who can be reached at CHAPMAN@UG.CS.DAL.CA          |

P.S.: It's not just my drive. I've seen it happen in another Quantum 80 -
an Apple one at that!

P.P.S.: The problem often seemed to occur when I crashed the computer (I'm
        a programmer and I crash the machine a LOT).

P.P.P.S.: I can't remember in which newsgroup I saw this article, so I
          guessed at this one. Please bear with me if I guessed wrong.