[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New LC & si Sound & MacRecorder???

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) (10/18/90)

Perhaps someone in the know can shed some sound on this:

Now that the LC and Si come with sound input & a microphone as standard
equipment, where does that leave current owners of Farallon MacRecorders?

Will the new sound system software from Apple in any way support the
MacRecorder?

Will Farallon distribute a driver for the MacRecorder to make
it "~play" with the new Apple sound system software?

Are the formats of MacRecorder sound files compatible with Apple's?

What are Farallon's plans?

Perhaps if someone from Farallon is listening, we veteran MacRecorder users
want to know...

Sincerely,
--
Ken Stamm (ken@slhisc.uucp, sun.com!gotham!slhisc!ken) (212)341-3868
Shearson Lehman Brothers, 390 Greenwich St. 4W, New York NY 10013

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.194138.5327@slhisc.uucp> ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:
>Will the new sound system software from Apple in any way support the
>MacRecorder?
>
>Will Farallon distribute a driver for the MacRecorder to make
>it "~play" with the new Apple sound system software?

I talked to Farallon technical support today.  They said the driver is now in
beta test and we should see it in a "couple of weeks".

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (10/18/90)

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:
>Now that the LC and Si come with sound input & a microphone as standard
>equipment, where does that leave current owners of Farallon MacRecorders?

I called Farallon about this very subject.  Version 2.03 of their
MacRecorder software which is fully compatible with the Sound Input
Manager is in late beta test and should be released "soon."

The Farallon MacRecorder continues to be an excellent product and is
apparently going to be even more popular as people use Macs with
built-in microphones.  This will prompt those folks who don't have an LC
or IIsi to buy the MacRecorder, in my humble opinion.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu (john a feinberg) (11/03/90)

Oops, scratch my last question on the IIsi and the Farallon SoundEdit software.

Someone asked a while ago what owners of MacRecorders should do if they were
buying a IIlc or a IIsi.  They should keep them!  It used to be the only way
to record stereo sound was to own two MacRecorders.  Once they get the new
SoundEdit software out, you should be able to use the Apple sound input
as one channel, and the MacRecorder as the other channel.  The results should
be very impressive.  Also, the SoundEdit software includes a fair amount of
effects that can only be used on Stereo sounds.

John Feinberg
SUNY Buffalo