[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Classic cheap Power Supply...

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) (10/21/90)

AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
Just saw a Mac Classic...  Apple does it again by NOT giving it a
universal (110V - 240V) power supply.  The one I saw had a cute little
"110V" sticker on the back.  Apple person when asked claimed this was done
to keep the cost low.  Thanks guys...

Do any of our European friends out there know if the Classics sold there
come with universal power supplies, or do they have little "220V" stickers
on the back?  (I had heard a rumor of 110-240 on european ones).

--
Ken Stamm (ken@slhisc.uucp, sun.com!gotham!slhisc!ken) (212)341-3868
Shearson Lehman Brothers, 390 Greenwich St. 4W, New York NY 10013

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct21.133912.14179@slhisc.uucp>, ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:

|> AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
|> Just saw a Mac Classic...  Apple does it again by NOT giving it a
|> universal (110V - 240V) power supply.  The one I saw had a cute little
|> "110V" sticker on the back.  Apple person when asked claimed this was done
|> to keep the cost low.  Thanks guys...
|>
|> Do any of our European friends out there know if the Classics sold there
|> come with universal power supplies, or do they have little "220V" stickers
|> on the back?  (I had heard a rumor of 110-240 on european ones).

The original press release said the Classic and LC had the universal power
supplies, but the spec sheets at the Stanford Bookstore say otherwise. A real
blow to frequent travellers and international shoppers (maybe this way Apple
gets to mainain their huge price differential between Europe and the US?).

Does anyone know if there is an internal adjustment for voltage, or does the
power supply have to be swapped?

--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (10/22/90)

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:
>The original press release said the Classic and LC had the universal power
>supplies, but the spec sheets at the Stanford Bookstore say otherwise.

The spec sheet is incorrect for the LC.  The Macintosh Classic as sold
in the USA has a 110V power supply.  The LC has a self-configuring
power supply, roughly 100 V to 240 V.  The IIsi also has a
self-configuring power supply.

You can see the error in the LC spec sheet if you look inside; the
picture of the back of the LC clearly shows a label on the machine
indicating 100-240 V as input.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (10/22/90)

| You can see the error in the LC spec sheet if you look inside;
| the picture of the back of the LC clearly shows a label on the machine
| indicating 100-240 V as input.

	who guarantees that this is not a picture of a European model?

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct21.133816.14088@slhisc.uucp> ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:
>AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
>Just saw a Mac Classic...  Apple does it again by NOT giving it a
>universal (110V - 240V) power supply.  The one I saw had a cute little
>"110V" sticker on the back.  Apple person when asked claimed this was done
>to keep the cost low.  Thanks guys...

According to a tech I spoke to at Computer Era in NYC the other day,
the Classic power supply is Jumper configurable for different
voltages.  Ie. a tech has to open up the power supply and change
a jumper to allow it to operate on the other voltage.

I have no idea if this is the truth, but at least it would be better than
having to swap the power supply.   Note that the supply is rated for a range
of frequencies from 47-63Hz (or there abouts).

Josh Hodas

Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (10/22/90)

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
[Still talking about LC power supply.]
>	who guarantees that this is not a picture of a European model?

I guarantee it.  I've seen messages on the Field Engineering Support board
of Applelink stating exactly what I said earlier:  The Macintosh Classic
has a 110V power supply.  The Macintosh LC and Macintosh IIsi have
self-configuring power supplies, accepting at least 100V-220V at some
various Hz.

If you'd like, I'll grab the original announcement, but I've gone over
and taken an LC's cover off, and it really *does* have a
self-configuring power supply.  This is in Cupertino, not Europe.  The
data sheet is wrong.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/22/90)

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:

> | You can see the error in the LC spec sheet if you look inside;
> | the picture of the back of the LC clearly shows a label on the machine
> | indicating 100-240 V as input.
>
> 	who guarantees that this is not a picture of a European model?

This thread deserves a place in history! It begins with conflicting
documentation (a press release and a LC spec sheet) as to which
power supply is in the LC, so several people ask for someone from
Apple to clarify which document is correct. And then, when someone
from Apple does try and clarify the situation, they are immediately
thought of as trying to deceive you. I guess the next question is, did
you really write the message above or did aliens? :)

John

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (10/23/90)

In article <31501@netnews.upenn.edu>, hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) writes:
|> In article <1990Oct21.133816.14088@slhisc.uucp> ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:
|> >AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
|> >Just saw a Mac Classic...  Apple does it again by NOT giving it a
|> >universal (110V - 240V) power supply.  The one I saw had a cute little
|> >"110V" sticker on the back.  Apple person when asked claimed this was done
|> >to keep the cost low.  Thanks guys...
|> According to a tech I spoke to at Computer Era in NYC the other day,
|> the Classic power supply is Jumper configurable for different
|> voltages.  Ie. a tech has to open up the power supply and change
|> a jumper to allow it to operate on the other voltage.
|>
|> I have no idea if this is the truth, but at least it would be better than
|> having to swap the power supply.   Note that the supply is rated for a range
|> of frequencies from 47-63Hz (or there abouts).

Well, better than nothing, I suppose. Does anyoen out there actually _know_?
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

robt@mummy.agsm.unsw.oz.au (Rob Trevor) (10/23/90)

Stamm) writes:
> AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
> Just saw a Mac Classic...  Apple does it again by NOT giving it a
> universal (110V - 240V) power supply.  The one I saw had a cute little
> "110V" sticker on the back.  Apple person when asked claimed this was
done
> to keep the cost low.  Thanks guys...
>
> Do any of our European friends out there know if the Classics sold there
> come with universal power supplies, or do they have little "220V"
stickers
> on the back?  (I had heard a rumor of 110-240 on european ones).

Take a look inside...my understanding (from Apple Aus) is that a 'bit of
magic' applied to the power supply will change it from 240v to 110v (and
back) -- at least on the ones produced for the Australian market.  So its
not 'auto-switching', but it is 'switchable', at least by a technician!

Rob Trevor                                       robt@mummy.agsm.unsw.oz.au
Associate Professor                                    robt@agsm.unsw.oz.au
Australian Graduate School of Management
University of New South Wales
PO Box 1                                            VOICE: +61 (2) 662-0274
Kensington, NSW                                       FAX: +61 (2) 662-2451
AUSTRALIA    2033

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) (10/23/90)

In article <31501@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) writes:
>In article <1990Oct21.133816.14088@slhisc.uucp> ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:
>>AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
>>Just saw a Mac Classic...  Apple does it again by NOT giving it a
>>universal (110V - 240V) power supply.  The one I saw had a cute little
>>"110V" sticker on the back.  Apple person when asked claimed this was done
>>to keep the cost low.  Thanks guys...
>
>According to a tech I spoke to at Computer Era in NYC the other day,
>the Classic power supply is Jumper configurable for different
>voltages.  Ie. a tech has to open up the power supply and change
>a jumper to allow it to operate on the other voltage.

YEAHHHHH! Would the first person to crack open his new Classic please confirm
this?  This is wonderful!

--

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (10/23/90)

In article <45885@apple.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
> If you'd like, I'll grab the original announcement, but I've gone over
> and taken an LC's cover off, and it really *does* have a
> self-configuring power supply.  This is in Cupertino, not Europe.  The
> data sheet is wrong.

I opened two LCs during the roll-out in Knoxville.  They both had
self-configuring power supplies.  However, the two motherboards showed
quite a bit of differences. An Apple System
Engineer told me that these were still preproduction models.

Is it possible that the spec sheet is correct and that they will start
using single-voltage power supplies to save a few bucks when they go into
mass production?

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
President, MacClique--East Tennessee Macintosh Users Group
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (10/25/90)

> on the back?  (I had heard a rumor of 110-240 on european ones).

Take a look inside...my understanding (from Apple Aus) is that a 'bit of
magic' applied to the power supply will change it from 240v to 110v (and
back) -- at least on the ones produced for the Australian market.  So its
not 'auto-switching', but it is 'switchable', at least by a technician!

	same as she always was ... at least those sold outside the US;
	the "international" model of 128, 512, Plus has an analog board
	where a jumper and fuse change "does the trick".

	maybe Apple is doing the same ?!?  again ?!!!   :-(

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (10/27/90)

The sad part about this whole affair of 'dumb' power supplies on the Mac
Classic is that (usually) *ALL* power supplies are built to handle all
voltages, and the proper voltage is merely set by a jumper.  That is the way it
was with the old Apple IIe power supplies; ditto with the Laserwriter and Mac
Plus supplies.  To 'convert' them over usually only required either reseating a
jumper cable, or cutting a trace.

I do not see how it represents the saving of money to apple by NOT providing an
international power supply.  THis way it only means that they have to
separately produce different versions for different markets, instead of
producing one model that can be used worldwide.

I don't know, but nowadays it seems Apple is quick to point out that every
shortcoming or problem with their new computers is 'because of cost
reductions'.  Isn't it great to always have an excuse..?  The memo to all the
apple people sent out to demonstrate the new machines probably had a special
line, kinda like this "...In the event that you should be confronted with an
unusual technical question, simply refer to apple's cost cutting strategies and
that the critiqued outcome was intentional..."

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink | Achieve True Wealth and Financial Independence!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    |            Intrigued? - Send E-Mail!
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (11/03/90)

< Um, before we go jumping the gun here, my guess is that Werner posted
< his message before someone from Apple clarified the problem.  Just

Um, Werner's post included a quote from the post from the person
from Apple, so it seems a safe bet that he was aware of that
posting.

						Tim Smith