[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Help in Installing SIMMS w/Radius Accelerator

jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (11/03/90)

I've purchased some SIMM chips to install in my Mac Plus, but I have a
Radius Accelerator installed.  Before I open it up, I was wondering
if the presence of this board would make it difficult for a
non-handyperson like myself to do it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Kain
jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

--
"Quoth the raven, `Eat my shorts!'"

       -Edgar Allen Poe / Bart Simpson

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (11/04/90)

jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) writes:

>I've purchased some SIMM chips to install in my Mac Plus, but I have a
>Radius Accelerator installed.  Before I open it up, I was wondering
>if the presence of this board would make it difficult for a
>non-handyperson like myself to do it.

>Any help will be greatly appreciated.

>Jeff Kain
>jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

>--
>"Quoth the raven, `Eat my shorts!'"

>       -Edgar Allen Poe / Bart Simpson

The SIMM socket closest to the CPU is a bit hard to reach on the Mac Plus
with a 16Mhz Radius Accelerator installed.  It is not blocked, you must
only take care of not ripping out the accelerator board when changing
this SIMM from 256K to 1meg (necessary for a 1meg to 2.5 meg upgrade OR
any upgrade to 4 megs).

You will also need to cut a resistor on the board (it is labeled RAM SIZE)
but it is not hidden and is easy to reach.

This biggest problem you will encounter is extracting the motherboard and
replacing it.  This is done by prying the SIDES of the motherboard OUT
of its holders with a screwdriver.  Slight bending of the Mac chassis and
motherboard are required!  DO NOT TRY TO SLIDE IT OUT LIKE A NORMAL
MOTHERBOARD, you will damage the accelerator.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, have a dealer do the
upgrade (you can blame them if anything goes wrong :-) ).

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: Pascal@cam.org   Applelink: CDA0585   |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |