[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Connecting the IIsi to a 2-page monitor

feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu (john a feinberg) (11/03/90)

I currently own an SE with a two-page monitor, but I have been thinking of
getting the new IIsi, since it is available at a great price here on campus.

The question I'm most interested in finding an answer to is, would I be able
to use both a two page monitor (I would buy the 030 adapter slot thing, and
buy an SE/30 driver card for the monitor) AND the Apple 13" RGB monitor at
the same time (in case I'm wrong, I mean the standard color monitor that
the IIsi can drive).  For what it's worth, the 2 page monitor is an Ehman.

Right now, the 2-pager and the SE screen can both be used; the SE screen is a
sort of extension of the larger monitor.  I was hoping it would work the same
way on the IIsi.

Also, does anyone know if Ehman is planning on making special cards for its
monitors designed for the IIsi, so I don't have to buy the adapter?

finally, will the IIsi's sound input be recognized by Farallon's SoundEdit
program?

John Feinberg
SUNY Buffalo
feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (11/05/90)

feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu (john a feinberg) writes:

>I currently own an SE with a two-page monitor, but I have been thinking of
>getting the new IIsi, since it is available at a great price here on campus.

>The question I'm most interested in finding an answer to is, would I be able
>to use both a two page monitor (I would buy the 030 adapter slot thing, and
>buy an SE/30 driver card for the monitor) AND the Apple 13" RGB monitor at
>the same time (in case I'm wrong, I mean the standard color monitor that
>the IIsi can drive).  For what it's worth, the 2 page monitor is an Ehman.

>Right now, the 2-pager and the SE screen can both be used; the SE screen is a
>sort of extension of the larger monitor.  I was hoping it would work the same
>way on the IIsi.

Yes, it will.  Just use the Monitors cdev to configure them any way you way you
wish.

>Also, does anyone know if Ehman is planning on making special cards for its
>monitors designed for the IIsi, so I don't have to buy the adapter?

See, the slot in the IIsi, without the adaptor, is in fact a perfectly-
functional 030 PDS.  Problem is, most 030 PDS cards are too tall to stand up
in the IIsi case, so the adapter lets them lie horizontally, parallel
to the motherboard.  The Ehman 030 card might fit vertically; in that case,
you won't need an adaptor.

But if you're shelling out the not-all-that-big-but-still-considerable
bucks for a IIsi, why not get an adaptor so you can have an FPU?  PSI
Integration, Inc. provides a very attractive $135-educational 030 PDS
adaptor with a mounted FPU and a port for its $300-educational RAM cache,
which, it claims, improves performance a further 25-70%.

>finally, will the IIsi's sound input be recognized by Farallon's SoundEdit
>program?

A stand-alone version of SoundEdit for IIsi and LC owners will be shipping
shortly.  It was demoed by Apple in the announcement telecast.

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)