[comp.sys.mac.hardware] The new LC Apple IIe Card DOS compatible??!?!?!?!?

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (10/30/90)

I was just looking over the spec sheet on the Apple IIe Card for the LC.  On
the back under the heading Compatible operating systems it lists:

	*  ProDOS
	*  DOS 3.3    <------
	*  Pascal

Does this mean that it is compatible with MS DOS 3.3???  Or am I missing
something here?

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU

vinnie@pawl.rpi.edu (Matthew V Whalen) (10/30/90)

 Saiid Paryavi writes:
>I was just looking over the spec sheet on the Apple IIe Card for the LC.  On
>the back under the heading Compatible operating systems it lists:
>
>        *  ProDOS
>        *  DOS 3.3    <------
>        *  Pascal
>
>Does this mean that it is compatible with MS DOS 3.3???  Or am I missing
>something here?

No..not at all.  The DOS 3.3 Apple is refering to is THEIR DOS 3.3.  This
is the operating system that ProDOS replaced.  It has absolutely nothing
to do with IBM at all.

matthew whalen  vinnie@pawl.rpi.edu

twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) (10/30/90)

> 	*  DOS 3.3    <------

> Does this mean that it is compatible with MS DOS 3.3???  Or am I missing
> something here?

Yup, you are.   I'll date myself a little here.... This is the
venerable Apple II DOS 3.3, the operating system that ran on Apple
II's before ProDOS.

3D0G!

Ted
Internet/CSnet: twl@cs.brown.edu 	| Ted "Theodore" Leung
BITNET: twl@BROWNCS.BITNET		| Box 1910, Brown University
UUCP: uunet!brunix!twl			| Providence, RI 02912

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.015749.6014@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
> I was just looking over the spec sheet on the Apple IIe Card for the LC.  On
> the back under the heading Compatible operating systems it lists:
>
> 	*  ProDOS
> 	*  DOS 3.3    <------
> 	*  Pascal
>
> Does this mean that it is compatible with MS DOS 3.3???  Or am I missing
> something here?

Probably.  Before there was an MSDOS, there was DOS 3.2 for the Apple][.

DOS 3.2 --> DOS 3.3 --> (DOS 4.0) --> (XDOS) --> ProDOS.

with the ones in parentheses development version that eventually led to a
commercial product.

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (10/31/90)

>I was just looking over the spec sheet on the Apple IIe Card for the LC.  On
>the back under the heading Compatible operating systems it lists:
>
>	*  ProDOS
>	*  DOS 3.3    <------
>	*  Pascal
>
>Does this mean that it is compatible with MS DOS 3.3???  Or am I missing
>something here?

DOS 3.3 is referring to Apple DOS 3.3, the forever popular predecessor to
ProDOS.

- Chris

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

jtc@latcs1.oz.au (John Catsoulis) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.015749.6014@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>I was just looking over the spec sheet on the Apple IIe Card for the LC.  On
>the back under the heading Compatible operating systems it lists:
>	*  DOS 3.3    <------
>Does this mean that it is compatible with MS DOS 3.3???  Or am I missing
>something here?

History lesson: No it isn't MS-DOS 3.3. The old Apple ][ operating system
was called DOS long before the PC reared its Intel head. DOS just means
"disk operating system" and not specifically Microsoft's product.

John.
jtc@ee.latrobe.edu.au

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (11/05/90)

In article <1990Oct30.015749.6014@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>,
paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) says:

>I was just looking over the spec sheet on the Apple IIe Card for the LC.  On
>the back under the heading Compatible operating systems it lists:
>
>        *  ProDOS
>        *  DOS 3.3    <------
>        *  Pascal
>
>Does this mean that it is compatible with MS DOS 3.3???  Or am I missing
>something here?
>
>--
>Saiid Paryavi                                           CIS Department
>Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu                   Nichols Hall, KSU
>UUCP:      {rutgers, texbell}!ksuvax1!harry!paryavi     Manhattan, KS  66506

Oh yea of very short memory (and young age?).

When I was a kid .... in the long lost days when Steve Jobs was almost a
boy, and hacker wasn't a four letter word, I used to sell Apple II's to people
and they like them ('twas only a Saturday job, mind you). And the software
of choice was VisiCalc runnin under DOS 3.3 for it was better than DOS 3.2.

And then the evil beige darkness fell across the land in '81. An lo, people
did forget that PC means personal computer and not a pile of shit built
by IBM. An so the term DOS was corrupted (though IBM had invoked that
name before -- Disasterously OverSized)

Whats that nurse? Oh, it breakfast time. I have to go.

Send donations to "The Alan Turing Home for the Recursivley Bemused", these
old hackers need all the help they can get.

Can anybody spare a Twinkie? A Jolt?

Kevin Purcell          | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science,       |
Liverpool University   | Programming the Macintosh is easy if you understand
Liverpool L69 3BX      | how the Mac works and hard if you don't. -- Dan Allen