[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIsi and Half-Height Quantums. Yup!

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (11/01/90)

Just thought you folks might like to know that *YES*, indeed, the Mac IIsi
casing, standard brackets, standard cables and power supply DO work
with half-height 3.5 inch SCSI drives made by Quantum.

I swapped-out the factory-installed Conner 40meg for a 105Meg ProDrive
and it works great.

However, I was unable to make the Conner drive work in a generic external
SCSI casing.  Seemed like some kind of power adjustment problem in the
casing's power supply (ticking sound similar to badly adjusted power
supply on Radius accelerator equipped Mac Pluses....).

I am also interested in obtaining the specs for ALL of the Conner's
connectors (led, scsi ID, + misc undocumented stuff) in order to
complete my migration efforts!!!!

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: Pascal@cam.org   Applelink: CDA0585   |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

kevin@crash.cts.com (Kevin Hill) (11/05/90)

From kevin Mon Nov  5 02:24:33 1990
To: /u2/kevin/.article
Subject: HELP:  My hard drive won't save data!
Date: Mon Nov  5 02:24:33 1990
From: kevin@crash.cts.com (Kevin Hill)

  If any can HELP me, please send me mail!
  My 20meg hard drive seems to work fine, it boots, it reads, the data that is
on it is not corrupted in any way that I can find.  I can run apps from it, and
I can read file successfully from it.
  Now the problem, it does not want to save any files.  Anywhere.  The problem
cropped up one day after I accidentally turned the computer off when it was
shutting down, but before it was finished.
  I tried to reformat it, it said it failed to initialize.  I tried to rewrite
the driver, failed.  Basically, any attempt to write to the drive fails.  However
all reads succeed with no problem.
  I have tried to switch the number of the drive, (the SCSI number that is) but
it also fails to do this.  I have yet to switch cables, as that might be a
problem, but I don't think so.
  My best guess would be that it is a software write protect that is causing
the drive to reject any write command given to it.

  IF YOU CAN HELP, PLEASE DO!!  I HAVEN'T LOST ANY DATA YET, BUT I MIGHT if I
succumb to my frustration and throw my HD out the window :*)!
  Kevin Hill.