[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Help !! SE 30 dead

chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) (11/06/90)

Well,
     The story goes like this (it's long so bear with me)
The system is :- Se 30, 5Meg RAM, 100Meg Rodime (with Rodime Driver),
System 6.0.7 (2 days old).  Just added DeskTop Manager and rebuilt all
the desk tops (a few multidisk partitions).
	After doing a Reboot I obtained a Very Sad Mac (black Screen and
a long peice of Music) with the Code 0000000F
                                     00000001
under it.  This happened a couple of times.  I could boot with a floppy.
and the drive showed up (but wouldn't boot).  I checked the media with the
Rodime Installer software, it was OK.  I zapped the PRAM (it seems to help
everyone else :-}.  After this I would only get a '?' when trying to boot off
the drive.  Using a floppy to boot, no Hard-drive showed up.  The Rodime
Installer software could see the drive.  I then used Silevr-lining to look at
the drive.  I checked the SCSI Read/Write Loops and found that Mac Blind
Write loops were failing (other sorts of Blind writes also failed).  OK I
thought I'll install the Mac Standard Harware Read/Write Loops.  So I did.
Now as soon as it tries to boot off the HD I get the following Sad Mac
          0000000F
          00000003
with the same double cord music before (I remember the Mac IIci gave the same
music when it had major memory problems, but very different error codes)
	Also, if I try to boot off floppy, I get the 'Welcome to Macintosh"
screen which locks and starts to wave (hard to explain, sort of a mirage
image) as soon as the HD access light flashes.
	So it seems to be that my drive has had it.  I didn't realise it could
take out the whole Mac though.  Is there a way to prevent the Mac from checking
SCSI devices as it boots ?  I'm going to open it up later and "play" with the
connectors later (try disconnecting it completely and booting off a floppy,
should I disconnect power and/or SCSI connector ?)
	Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion, I am willing to listen.  If any
Mac Technicians have anything to say, PLEASE SPEAK UP ! :-)  While I'm at it,
are there any places that repare Hard-Drives in Australia (I know it isn't
worth it, but it wont hurt to ask).  I'll be in Sydney for Christmas, so places
there will do.  Are there places that recover the data too (no lectures please,
it's only for convieniance really).
	I look forward to any help.
	Michael.
PS mail to chma@groper.jcu.edu.au gets to me a little faster than
           chma@iceman.jcu.edu.au (I don't know why, it just does.)

In article <1207@iceman.jcu.oz> chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) writes:
>Well,
>     The story goes like this (it's long so bear with me)

  Lots of stuff deleted

>	Michael.
>PS mail to chma@groper.jcu.edu.au gets to me a little faster than
>           chma@iceman.jcu.edu.au (I don't know why, it just does.)

	Well, here I am typing on my disembowelled Mac, the hard drive
is sitting on the edge of my desk, wires hanging out everywhere (very
interesting!).  What I ended up doing was disconnecting the power to the drive
and booting off a floppy.  Carefully I reconnected the power to the drive,
and Silverling found the drive.  Quiting the application, the drive appeared on
the desk-top and I could switch launch to it. Rebooting still gave Sad Mac
sounds and code.  So I repeated the disconnect and live reconnect and
I then installed a Silverlining driver, using the Standard Mac "Handshake"
SCSI Read/write loops.  (I don't know what it means, but "blind" loops keep
failing now ie they didn't before ! Any ideas ?)
        This didn't help much till I ran Disk First Aid v1.4.3 on the drive.
It found an error, I clicked Repair and now everything is well again !  As
a test I tried reinstalling the Rodime driver but I get back the terrible
hardware errors (I guess Rodime defaults to "Blind" loops ?).  So I'm back
to the Silverlining Driver.
	Now the big question, will this last (I have nothing to lose, and I
didn't have to fork out $80 per hour for a tech) ?  I looked at SCSI loops
before these troubles and everything worked well, suddenly they don't.
Should I back everything up (I will anyway!) and do a full Reinitialisation ?
Should this fix the apparent hardware problem or will I be wasting time ?
Will things get worse (please say no :-) ? Am I as lucky as I think I am ?
			Thanks to everyone that will try and help me,
			Michael