[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Grayscale 2-page Monitors?

devynck@ibd.brl.mil (Didier Devynck (IBD) <devynck>) (11/07/90)

Hi:

OK, I thought I was so smart! I'm just about to buy a (used)
MacIIci and I want to have it with a 2-page monitor. So I browsed
through the ads in MacWorld and decided that Mirror Technologies
was really offering a great deal: $900 or so for a 2-page monitor.
I had it all figured out.

Now it just dawned on me that, since I am going to do a lot of
desktop (and music) publishing and to include photographs to my
documents, I probably need some levels of gray. Sure enough, the
Mirror monitor is strictly B/W and I'm sure that everything in that
price range will be.

So, as you guessed, here's my question. Does anyone have advice or
recommendations about 2-page monitors with some kind of grayscale
capabilities. I guess I should have 256 levels, but maybe 16 will
do. Or do they always offer both? I am looking for info on the models
and on where to buy them, if you have that too.

I guess the best thing to do is to e-mail and I'll summarize later
so as not to clutter the newsgroup.

Thanks a whole lot.

Didier Devynck
devynck@brl.mil

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (11/07/90)

In article <450@ibd.BRL.MIL>, devynck@ibd.brl.mil (Didier Devynck (IBD) <devynck>) writes:

> OK, I thought I was so smart! I'm just about to buy a (used)
> MacIIci and I want to have it with a 2-page monitor. So I browsed
>
> So, as you guessed, here's my question. Does anyone have advice or
> recommendations about 2-page monitors with some kind of grayscale
> capabilities. I guess I should have 256 levels, but maybe 16 will
> do. Or do they always offer both? I am looking for info on the models
> and on where to buy them, if you have that too.

My IIci works well with its SuperMac Series III 19" grayscale (8-bit) monitor.

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/07/90)

In article <2223@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, fiddler@concertina (Steve Hix) writes:
>> So, as you guessed, here's my question. Does anyone have advice or
>> recommendations about 2-page monitors with some kind of grayscale
>> capabilities. I guess I should have 256 levels, but maybe 16 will
>> do. Or do they always offer both? I am looking for info on the models
>> and on where to buy them, if you have that too.
>
>My IIci works well with its SuperMac Series III 19" grayscale (8-bit) monitor.

The Apple Two Page Display does 256 grays with the Apple 8.24 card.  I
think it should work fine with the IIci, though I suppose it would
suck up a lot of RAM (I don't use it with a IIci, so you should
double-check whether or not it's compatible).

It's a wonderful monitor.  And yes, you *will* want all 256 grays.
Sometimes 16 isn't enough to get a really good-looking picture on
screen (if, for example, you tend to scan photographs or other
continuous tone images).

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."