[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Tape Drive Software needed RIGHT AWAY

al@ee.pitt.edu (Alan Martello) (11/06/90)

I'm looking to backup a number of Mac's to an existing Exabyte.
The drive can be moved from mac to mac; network backups not needed.

Does anyone know of any software which can handle the job or
have there been any recent articles which discuss tape backup
software in MacUser, MacWorld, etc..  Company names ?
anything !  I'm desperate.....

thanks in advance.
(p.s. if this has been a subject of recent discussion that I missed,
I'd appreciate any info you might have tucked away)
       Alan R. Martello        Electrical Engineering Dept.
        al@ee.pitt.edu           University of Pittsburgh

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/06/90)

In article <9065@pitt.UUCP> al@ee.pitt.edu (Alan Martello) writes:
>I'm looking to backup a number of Mac's to an existing Exabyte.
>The drive can be moved from mac to mac; network backups not needed.
>
>Does anyone know of any software which can handle the job or
>have there been any recent articles which discuss tape backup
>software in MacUser, MacWorld, etc..  Company names ?
>anything !  I'm desperate.....

If your tape drive is DC2000 or compatible drives (i.e. they take DC2000
tapes) and have the 3M controller, then DiskFit(tm), by SuperMAC Technology
(they're in Mountain View, phone # is 408/245-2202) might be the thing you're
looking for.  You'll also need their TapeDriver INIT, but I think it comes
with DiskFit.  I dunno; ask them.
Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/07/90)

In article <9065@pitt.UUCP>, al@ee (Alan Martello) writes:
>I'm looking to backup a number of Mac's to an existing Exabyte.
>The drive can be moved from mac to mac; network backups not needed.
>
>Does anyone know of any software which can handle the job or
>have there been any recent articles which discuss tape backup
>software in MacUser, MacWorld, etc..  Company names ?
>anything !  I'm desperate.....

Give Retrospect (by Dantz Development) a try.  It's really wonderful
software, very customizable, works well in the background under
Multifinder and with nearly every tape drive in the world.

Also, should you tire of moving the tape drive from Mac to Mac, they
make a network-compatible version so that you can backup several Macs
to a tape drive connected to another Mac on the network.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."