[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Software controlled screen brightness

cayz@udel.edu (James Cayz) (11/07/90)

Hi All,

	Has anyone thought of the consequences of _not_ being able to turn the
brightness all the way down???  "When is this a problem?" you might ask...

	I currently have a Mac Plus running as an AppleShare server (yes, I
know, slightly crazy).  Obeying Apple very carefully, I have 0 (no) inits
running, ie, screen savers.  That means that this very meaningful AS screen is
visible, until I crank the darkness down.  Saves burning that "Hand & Tray"
into my screen, since it is up _continously_ (since 1987).   If I go to a
Classic, I'll burn my screen up real fast...

	Is there maybe a "backdoor" to a) turn it all the way down and b) with
a keyboard FKEY to turn it back up?  Or are we not supposed to use the lowest
cost machines as our server machines (try explaining to someone that the server
gets the IIsi, you'll have to do w/ a Classic...  Riiiiiight).  And since I
need another server to do mail real soon....

	Any solutions???  (If you suggest a different machine, be prepared to
write me a check!!!).

	Thanx
	James Cayz

|James Cayz can be found via:    USPS: Educational Technology Laboratory
|EMAIL Internet: cayz@louie.udel.edu : 203 Willard Hall Education Building
|PHONE: +1 302 451-6307              : University of Delaware, Newark DE 19716

stanbach@Apple.COM (Francis Stanbach) (11/07/90)

When I wrote the Brightness Control Panel
I worried about all of these issues.

It turns out that the screen is not protected that much more
by going from mostly dark to dark.

Apple doesn't care what you use a
Macintosh for as long as you use one. :+)
A Classic makes a great file server(shameless plug).

The Brightness Control Panel calls the .screen driver.
You can make a hack to call it directly, but It may change
and your thing will break. You have been warned.

I think Apple should make screen savers part of system software.
Not fancy ones, just a basic one.

Francis
--
wmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwm
Francis Stanbach                          Finder Engineer Apple Computer, Inc.

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/07/90)

In article <35597@nigel.ee.udel.edu> cayz@udel.edu (James Cayz) writes:

>Hi All,
>
>	Has anyone thought of the consequences of _not_ being able to turn the
>brightness all the way down???  "When is this a problem?" you might ask...
>running, ie, screen savers.  That means that this very meaningful AS screen is
>visible, until I crank the darkness down.  Saves burning that "Hand & Tray"
>into my screen, since it is up _continously_ (since 1987).   If I go to a
>Classic, I'll burn my screen up real fast...

	I think you could easily get away with running Auto-Black, which
	I assume still runs fine on the Classic to bypass the minimal
	dimming of the Brightness CDEV. However the Classic I saw when
	I dimmed it to the Max, the intensity was so low, that burn in
	even with running Appleshare continiously would take one heck of
	a long time..

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (11/07/90)

In article <35597@nigel.ee.udel.edu> cayz@udel.edu (James Cayz) writes:
>cost machines as our server machines (try explaining to someone that the server
>gets the IIsi, you'll have to do w/ a Classic...  Riiiiiight).  And since I
>need another server to do mail real soon....

I don't know... We've been running Appleshares here at the U. of Pittsburgh for
years with loads of two-floppy Pluses "looking up to" a Mac II, most of *our*
users wouldn't even know the difference, though  :-).  I personally would LOVE
to have a Classic hooked up to our server, but alas we were only granted an SE.

What can you do?

Dennis Lippert - macman@vm2.cis.pitt.edu

careyk@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carey Kinoshita) (11/08/90)

In article <11145@goofy.Apple.COM> stanbach@Apple.COM (Francis Stanbach) writes:
>It turns out that the screen is not protected that much more
>by going from mostly dark to dark.
>
>Apple doesn't care what you use a
>Macintosh for as long as you use one. :+)
>A Classic makes a great file server(shameless plug).

I think that the software controlled screen brightness is a benefit for
the Mac Class and not another attempt by Apple to save of manufacturing costs.
When I upgraded from a Mac 512KE to a Mac II, one of the features I like was
the ability of screen savers to be able to dim the screen of the Apple Color
RGB monitor.  Back on my Mac 512KE I used to have all kinds of problems with
screen savers bombing every so often.  Now, I don't have to worry about
my Macintosh crashing anytime the screen saver goes on.  And now Mac Classic
owner's don't have to worry, too.

P.S.  I am currently using After Dark 2.0 and have no problem when using
the dimmer module to blank out my screen, but anytime I try to use one of
those fancy module's like Fish! my Mac II would bomb when coming out of
the screen saver especially when running Word 4.0.
hadn't g