[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Tektronix CAChe and M88K...

andrewn@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andrew D Nimmo) (11/05/90)

Would anyone care to expand on Tektronix and the M88K, in particular,
the use of their M88K coprocessor board in a Macintosh II, running the
CAChe (Computer Aided Chemistry) sofware.  Will this continue to be a
supported product?  Any info appreciated.

Andrew D. Nimmo

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (11/07/90)

[]

	"Would anyone care to expand on Tektronix and the M88K, in
	particular, the use of their M88K coprocessor board in a
	Macintosh II, running the CAChe (Computer Aided Chemistry)
	sofware.  Will this continue to be a supported product?"

The termination of Tektronix' 88k-based workstation effort does not
effect the CAChe program, or other Tek 88k projects such as DAS
support.

As far as I can tell from inside the company, CAChe looks like it will
be allowed to prosper for the forseeable future.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

wishart@bnl.gov (Jim Wishart) (11/07/90)

In article <3739@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andrewn@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andrew D
Nimmo) writes:
> Would anyone care to expand on Tektronix and the M88K, in particular,
> the use of their M88K coprocessor board in a Macintosh II, running the
> CAChe (Computer Aided Chemistry) sofware.  Will this continue to be a
> supported product?  Any info appreciated.

It was demonstrated here last week.  Is is very impressive, albeit quite
expensive.  They say that a new version will be released early next year.
The salesperson told us that the driving force behind this product is the
display processing technology and the need to find applications for it,
such as computational chemistry and molecular modeling.  The 3D display is
very convincing.

Jim Wishart                wishart@bnl.gov
Chemistry Department
Brookhaven National Laboratory,Upton, NY 11973

larrym@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Larry Morandi) (11/07/90)

In article <3739@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andrewn@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andrew D Nimmo) writes:
>Would anyone care to expand on Tektronix and the M88K, in particular,
>the use of their M88K coprocessor board in a Macintosh II, running the
>CAChe (Computer Aided Chemistry) sofware.  Will this continue to be a
>supported product?  Any info appreciated.
>
>Andrew D. Nimmo

I suspect the Tek CAChe group will respond separately, but the simple
answer is that the cancellation of the workstation product lines had no
effect on either the CAChe group and products or the RP88 group and
products (RP88 is the name of the family of coprocessor products, which
are available independent of the Computer Aided Chemistry products).

In fact, we are just preparing our announcement of a 33MHz product and
a very significant reduction in prices.  (Quick plug -- prices now
range from $4.5k to $11k, speeds from 16MHz to 33 MHz, and the 33MHz
board shows 70k Dhrystones1.1, 63k Dhrystones2.1 and 32.3M Whetstones.
Contact us if you need more info on the RP88 products, prices or other
benchmarks.  -- End of plug)

				    Thank you very much,
				    Larry Morandi

RP88 E-Mail:  advance@crl.labs.tek.com         RP88 Phone:  503-627-7844
E-Mail:       larrym@sail.labs.tek.com          AppleLink:  AdvTech
US Mail:      Larry Morandi, Advance Technologies, Tektronix, Inc.
              Box 500  MS 50-380, Beaverton OR 97077
Phone:        503-627-6002

cole@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Samuel Cole) (11/09/90)

In article <3739@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andrewn@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andrew D Nimmo) writes:
>Would anyone care to expand on Tektronix and the M88K, in particular,
>the use of their M88K coprocessor board in a Macintosh II, running the
>CAChe (Computer Aided Chemistry) sofware.  Will this continue to be a
>supported product?  Any info appreciated.
>
>Andrew D. Nimmo

To reiterate what others have already posted to this list, the cancellation
of the workstation product line does not affect the CAChe Group or the
Advance Technologies Group that produces the RP88 co-processor for the
Macintosh II. CAChe is doing extremely well, with a product that is very
competetive (prices range from $12K to 50K).  CAChe molecular modeling
worksystems can use one or more of the 33, 25, or 20 MHz RP88K co-processors.

Sam Cole                                                    (503)627-2308
CAChe Group, Tektronix Inc.                        cole@sail.labs.tek.com
P.O. Box 500, Mail Station 13-400
Beaverton, OR 97077