[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Postscript Sharing Serial & Localtalk

brion@cbnewsh.att.com (brion.n.feinberg) (11/05/90)

How can I share a postscript printer between localtalk and serial inputs?
I think I read about some hardware that arbitrates between the two
inputs.  I also seem to remember that some printers do the arbitration
themselves.  I'd like a system that doesn't require any manual changes
to switch between the two inputs.  Incidently, I know about the programs
GatePost and Janus.  Besides not having an extra Mac floating around to
dedicate for this purpose, my experience with GatePost wasn't good.

Thanks,

Brion

email: brion@homxb.att.com or brion@honet9.att.com

demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (11/08/90)

>How can I share a postscript printer between localtalk and serial inputs?
>I think I read about some hardware that arbitrates between the two
>inputs.

 If I remember correctly, I believe QMS postscript printers already
 have this capability built-in.

johnk@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (John Knippers) (11/10/90)

In article <DEMARSEE.90Nov7115238@gamera.acs.syr.EDU>, demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) writes:
> >How can I share a postscript printer between localtalk and serial inputs?
> >I think I read about some hardware that arbitrates between the two
> >inputs.
>
>  If I remember correctly, I believe QMS postscript printers already
>  have this capability built-in.

The Tektronix 4693PX has this capability built-in also.

--
John Knippers
Graphic Printing & Imaging Division		The Best and the Brightest