[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard Disk Questions / Silver Lining

J.Pearce@cs.ucl.ac.uk (11/09/90)

I have recently purchased a 170M internal Quantum hard disk for my
Macintosh IIci. I used SCSI Evaluator and it seems to give a
significant performance improvement over the original Apple/Quantum
hard disk. The Apple/Quantum gave an average access time of 22ms and
a transfer rate of about 6 Mbits/s. In comparison the new Quantum
gave an average access time of 16ms and a transfer rate of 9 Mbits/s.

However, the original Apple/Quantum was very quite with only a slight
"gurgling" noise - NO ROM PROBLEMS. The new Quantum makes quite a distinct
and loud "scratching" noise, presumably when the heads move. Can anyone
comment on this noise - is it normal ?

I used Sliver Lining to format the new Quantum and everything seems to be
OK. However, it offers a choice of drivers and a test loop to choose the
optimal read/write combination for your drive. I followed this procedure
and rerun the SCSI Evaluator read/write tests and they had taken a
decided turn for the worse. Have I done anything wrong or is there a
problem with SCSI Evaluator or Silver Lining ?

John R. Pearce

jpearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

Computer Science Department
University College London
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT
UK

In article <1275@ucl-cs.uucp> J.Pearce@cs.ucl.ac.uk writes:

>I used Sliver Lining to format the new Quantum and everything seems to be
>OK. However, it offers a choice of drivers and a test loop to choose the
>optimal read/write combination for your drive. I followed this procedure
>and rerun the SCSI Evaluator read/write tests and they had taken a
>decided turn for the worse. Have I done anything wrong or is there a
>problem with SCSI Evaluator or Silver Lining ?

I believe Quantum drives have a cache which will improve those statistics
noticably, assuming you use a driver which supports the cache.  Possibly
Silver Lining's do not.

Tax the rich, and feed the poor -- until there are, rich no more.

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (11/10/90)

We have several Quantum 80 Mb and one Quantum 170 Mb hard drives, and the
170 is much noisier during seeks. It is not obnoxious, just noticeable.
All of our drives are very quiet, with almost no whine, even after three
years of heavy use for two of the 80 Mb drives. We are very pleased with
all of the drives.

We also use SilverLining (the drives are all from LaCie, so SilverLining
comes with them) and we also observed some claimed degredation with the
170 Mb hard drive. I have no idea if it is real, or a bug in
SilverLining's timing routines. I haven't worried about it. The 170 Mb
drive is very fast, and I didn't notice any speed change when I went from
80 Mb to 170. I suggest calling LaCie to see if they have an explanation.

Russell Owen
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu
Astronomy Dept. FM-20
University of Washington