[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Experiences mail-ordering from APS?

scotth@rocco.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott Herzinger) (11/01/90)

Any experiences mail-ordering disk drives from Alliance Peripheral
Systems (APS)? They advertise in the back of MacWeek. October 30th issue
has 105MB Quantum drives (internal) for $499, 200MB internal Maxtor for
$899.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has dealt with them. If they fulfill
the promises they make in their ad, I'm sure I'd be happy. Has anyone
had any problems?

Thanks in advance,

Scott Herzinger   scotth%crl.labs.tek.com@relay.cs.net
                  Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.
                  PO Box 500 MS 50-662, Beaverton, OR 97077

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (11/01/90)

In article <7005@tekchips.LABS.TEK.COM> scotth@rocco.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott Herzinger) writes:
>Any experiences mail-ordering disk drives from Alliance Peripheral
>Systems (APS)? They advertise in the back of MacWeek. October 30th issue
>has 105MB Quantum drives (internal) for $499, 200MB internal Maxtor for
>$899.
>
>I'd like to hear from anyone who has dealt with them. If they fulfill
>the promises they make in their ad, I'm sure I'd be happy. Has anyone
>had any problems?

All I can say about APS is good things.  I have purchased three drives from them
so far and have had no problems at all.  In one case I complained about their
SE internal bracket.  They told me to get whatever bracket I wanted and they
would pay for it.  Sure enough, I bought the Apple bracket and they promptly
credited my account.

In another case their shipment was a couple of days late, so I call them up and
inquire about the status of my order (this was 6:30PM).  They found out that
somehow my order had not gone through.  So, to compensate for the mistake, they
shipped it overnight, FREE OF CHARGE, and I had it on my desk by 10:00AM the
next day.  Now that is what I call customer service!

As for repairs, fortunately I have not had any problems with any of the drives
in the 10 months I have had them, so I wouldn't know!  However, judging by
their respect for the customer, I don't think there should be any problems
with service.

>Thanks in advance,

You are Welcome.

I AM JUST A SATISFIED CUSTOMER - ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION WITH APS.

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU

phillips@CMSUN.NRL.NAVY.MIL (Lee Phillips) (11/01/90)

I recently bought one drive from them, a 40MB Quantum.  I paid a little
extra for second-day express.  It arrived early, the day after I ordered,
but I wasn't there to receive it, so I got it on the second day anyway.
They were very professional on the phone, and I have no problems at all
with the product.  My credit card was charged correctly.  Also, they were
the cheapest (or close to it) for this product in MacWeek.

Good luck.

                                           Lee Phillips
                                           phillips@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
                                           phillips@lcp.nrl.navy.mil

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (11/02/90)

In article <W69%+$&@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes:

>The ad in MacWeek talks about the "Alliance Power Tools" SCSI
>formatter/Partitioner.  What kind of partitioning does this use?  Anyone
>know how well this compares to something like Silverlining?

When I got my 40M drive from APS, I took a quick look at the power tools but
when I saw that the partitioning was no where near as good as silverlining's, I
reformatted the drive (first verrryyy carefully backuping up the PD software
archive they provided :-) :-) and loaded a silverlining driver.

Some of the other utilities may be ok but silverlining has been around longer
anyway and I like the way optimization and testing can be performed with
silverlining (I havn't seen the new graphics utilities of silverlining yet, I'm
still using version 5.22. I think that they are up to 5.27 now)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

Zack.Edison@f823.n102.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Zack Edison) (11/05/90)

ive had good luck with aps and recomend them, they
give good service, and they sell reliable products
good luck    zack

--
Zack Edison via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!102!823!Zack.Edison

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/06/90)

In article <4439@tellab5.tellabs.com>, wiseman@tellabs (Jeff Wiseman) writes:
>When I got my 40M drive from APS, I took a quick look at the power tools but
>when I saw that the partitioning was no where near as good as silverlining's, I
>reformatted the drive (first verrryyy carefully backuping up the PD software
>archive they provided :-) :-) and loaded a silverlining driver.

This is what I did.  The APS tools are fine, but they are quite
limited.  I wanted resizable and AU/X partitions, however, and for
that SilverLining is hard to beat.

But the APS partitions are true (hard) partitions, not disk files like
SUM creates.

I also wanted to mention that the APS folks were extremely
professional and knowledgable on the phone -- they even called
Airborne, while I was on the phone, to make sure that the drive had
in fact shipped when they thought it had.

Their prices aren't always the absolute cheapest (it depends on what
you're getting from them), but I can't imagine dealing with a more
professional or helpful company.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (11/10/90)

I ordered a drive from APS.  It was supposed to arrive on a Friday morning.
It didn't.  I called.  The guy who I talked to found out that the order
had not been marked for the correct form of shipping.  He said it would
be shipped for overnight delivery.

He gave me a number to reach him on Saturday if there were any problems.
The drive arrived on Saturday, so all was well.

About four or five months later, I called them again.  This was to order
a tape drive.  The person who took the order was that same person who
had dealt with the screw-up the first time.  When I gave my name and
address, he remembered me.

This is a good sign.  If they had a lot of problems, they would probably
not remember me after four or five months like this.

						Tim Smith