[comp.sys.mac.hardware] CD-ROM drive cleaning advice

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/07/90)

My wonderful Apple CD-ROM (no fan) seems to be having a lot of trouble
reading various disks (data, not audio) lately.  Sometimes it takes a
long time to mount a new disk; other times Hypercard reports a disk
error in the middle of a stack, or a Finder window opens with no file
icons listed.  According to Apple's Q&A stack, this could mean that
the lens is dusty and could use a cleaning.

So...  has anyone done this?  Is there a recommended method?  Things I
should look out for?

The Q&A stack gives the number of a San Francisco company that makes
something that can be used, but before I get involved in mail ordering
things, is there something that might be available closer to home
(i.e., something by Discwasher or the like)?

Any help would be appreciated.  Gotta vacuum a little more often, I
guess...  :-)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (11/13/90)

In article <2790@esquire.dpw.com> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>My wonderful Apple CD-ROM (no fan) seems to be having a lot of trouble
>reading various disks (data, not audio) lately.
>  According to Apple's Q&A stack, this could mean that
>the lens is dusty and could use a cleaning.
>
> [I]s there something that might be available closer to home
>(i.e., something by Discwasher or the like)?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.  Gotta vacuum a little more often, I
>guess...  :-)

Your guess about discwasher is exactly right.  Go pick up their
CDL^2 (that's a square w/o superscript) CD Laser Lens Cleaner.  Cost
is around $25.  I can't guarantee that this will fix your problem
because my drive doesn't have a fan so I haven't had it; also I got
the CDL^2 when I got my drive and use it regularly.

Oh.  I got it at the record (or should that be the CD ;-) store at
the local mall.

--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)