[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Classic RAM upgrades?

ireland@ac.dal.ca (11/09/90)

I just ordered some RAM from the Chip Merchant in order to get all our
compact macs up to 4 megs, including a Mac Classic with 2 megs currently.
I haven't heard anything about the procedure for adding RAM to the Classics
yet. Is it different from Plus's or SE's? Any resistors to cut?
Thanks for any information.

Keith
ireland@ac.dal.ca

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/09/90)

Oh yes, the procedure for adding memory to a Classic is *VERY* different.
You need to buy an EXPANSION CARD, which contains extra memory.
(read: expen$ive).

Which brings me to another point: A new expansion card for the Classic.
ComputerCare (phone # 1-800-950-CARE), will be shipping the "MacScratch",
a memory expansion card for the Classic.  Shipment begins Nov. 19.

Here are the details:

* The board comes with 1 MB RAM installed, and two SIMM sockets, so you can
  add more at a later date

* The cost is $139, which roughly equals the price of an Apple card.
  But, you get more features this way, see below:

* Around January of next year, ComputerCare will be releasing a series of
  plug-in "modules" that plug in to the MacScratch memory board.

  - The first module, which will be available January, will allow you to plug
    an extra monitor, possibly color even, into your Mac.

  - Other modules that will be released between January - June, will
    include:

    + a RAM disk module, which will allow you to have up to a 16 MB RAM
      drive (it uses its own memory chips, not your Mac system memory)

    + Network conectivity cards (EtherNet, possibly Token Ring, more)

This looks to be a good deal, and certainly a more pleasant alternative
than Apple's basic RAM card.
Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

APPLEREP@MTUS5.BITNET (11/10/90)

(Talk about 1001 add-ons for the Classic's RAM slot deleted)

Uh, can the power supply on a Classic take this kind of abuse?

Tom Amberg
Apple Student Rep
Michigan Technological University
Internet:  APPLEREP@MTUS5.BITNET
Applelink:  ST0529

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (11/10/90)

In article <8690@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:

   Oh yes, the procedure for adding memory to a Classic is *VERY* different.
   You need to buy an EXPANSION CARD, which contains extra memory.
   (read: expen$ive).

   Which brings me to another point: A new expansion card for the Classic.
   ComputerCare (phone # 1-800-950-CARE), will be shipping the "MacScratch",
   a memory expansion card for the Classic.  Shipment begins Nov. 19.

   Here are the details:

[details deleted]

First, and just for the record, I wouldn't count on 'upgrade modules'
until they're released &/or debugged!  Vaporware should not be counted
on.

Secondly, and possibly more important, the original poster commented
that his Classic already had 2 megs.  The 2 meg classics already have
the memory expansion board, and just need the additional ram
installed.  I don't know about the resistor (but I don't think there
is anything needing to be CUT, there might be a jumper removed or
something) but the card is already installed in a 2-meg Classic.

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | No Jacket
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University | Required.
(617) 894-6859              | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |   Phil C.

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (11/12/90)

Donald Burr (c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu) writes in a message on 09 Nov 90:

> * Around January of next year, ComputerCare will be releasing a series of
>   plug-in "modules" that plug in to the MacScratch memory board.
>
>   - The first module, which will be available January, will allow you to plug
>     an extra monitor, possibly color even, into your Mac.
>
>   - Other modules that will be released between January - June, will
>     include:
>
>     + a RAM disk module, which will allow you to have up to a 16 MB RAM
>       drive (it uses its own memory chips, not your Mac system memory)
>
>     + Network conectivity cards (EtherNet, possibly Token Ring, more)
>
> This looks to be a good deal, and certainly a more pleasant alternative
> than Apple's basic RAM card.

Sounds for all the world like this company hasn't considered the power supply
situation in the Classic.  My bet is that such add-ons severly tax the power
supply's capabilities, and would void the warranty if something happened.

--Adam--

*  "But Windows slows performance, and its interface isn't as  *
*   elegant as the Mac's.  It's a little like listening to     *
*   Bruce Willis play the blues:  technically correct but      *
*   soulless."                                                 *
*  CIS: 70721,504                                              *
*  America OnLine: AdamFrix                                    *
*  Internet: Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG             *

Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix
INET: Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (11/13/90)

in article <8690@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) says:

> Oh yes, the procedure for adding memory to a Classic is *VERY* different.
> You need to buy an EXPANSION CARD, which contains extra memory.

In my understanding, this is not quite true. If the Classic already has
2 Meg and is going to 4 Meg, it must already have a RAM expansion card in
it with two SIMM slots. I don't know if anything has to be cut or jumped.

Joseph -> joseph@cooper.cooper.edu OR cmcl2!cooper!joseph

Disclaimer -> You are dealing with the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind