[comp.sys.mac.hardware] logic board problems

gordo@dgp.toronto.edu (Gordon Kurtenbach) (11/14/90)

I'm looking for advice about how to proceed with a problem with my Mac II.

The problem is that while it reads floppies ok, when it writes, it corrupts
them. It can't even initialize floppies. Now I've had it in the shop
and they tell me the drive itself is ok. The problem is with the logic board
and the fix is to replace it. So I have a few questions:

1) Is replacing the logic board the only way to fix this (this
costs > $500!!)? I get the feeling they'll sell me a new board, take
the old one, replace the sick chip and sell it to the next poor soul.

2) If I do have to take the $500 hit can I upgrade to a faster board?

Any advice is appreciated.

Gord

In article <1990Nov13.122103.22119@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> gordo@dgp.toronto.edu (Gordon Kurtenbach) writes:

>1) Is replacing the logic board the only way to fix this (this
>costs > $500!!)? I get the feeling they'll sell me a new board, take
>the old one, replace the sick chip and sell it to the next poor soul.

Probably not-- there are places advertised in MacWorld, Macweek, et al, which
will do component level repairs.  (my guess would be that the 'sick chip'
is the IWM, which may still cost  a bit because it as an apple-proprietary
chip, but not $500!)

>2) If I do have to take the $500 hit can I upgrade to a faster board?

No, but if you take a ~$3000 hit, you can :-)