[comp.sys.mac.hardware] CD's which work with Sun, Mac and IBM

agc@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Eric E. Palmer) (11/09/90)

I want to get a CD ROM, but I need it to be able to be usable
by any machine (Well, Mac, Sun and IBM)

Are there any on the market

Thanks
Eric

dswt@stl.stc.co.uk (Stewart Tansley) (11/12/90)

In article <16333@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> agc@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Eric E. Palmer) writes:
>I want to get a CD ROM, but I need it to be able to be usable
>by any machine (Well, Mac, Sun and IBM)
>Are there any on the market?
>Eric

Sorry, no answer Eric, but we have just got one of the big Sun 4 servers with
a 'free' CD ROM drive. Is there a way by which we can read Mac CD ROMs using
this beastie - via the Suns, or whatever? We have excellent Sun/Mac inter-
connectivity, BTW.

I thought there was some standard format for these beasties, right? (High
Sierra, or somink.)

Thanks for any help!

Stewart Tansley     | STC Technology Ltd              |  'Be cool, or be
                    | London Rd, Harlow, CM17 9NA, UK |    cast out...'
dswt@stl.stc.co.uk  | +44 279 429531 x2763            | Subdivisions, Rush
   'You know how that rabbit feels - going under your spinning wheels...'

rock@warp.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (11/14/90)

dswt@stl.stc.co.uk (Stewart Tansley) writes:

>In article <16333@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> agc@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Eric E. Palmer) writes:
>>I want to get a CD ROM, but I need it to be able to be usable
>>by any machine (Well, Mac, Sun and IBM)
>>Are there any on the market?
>>Eric

>Sorry, no answer Eric, but we have just got one of the big Sun 4 servers with
>a 'free' CD ROM drive. Is there a way by which we can read Mac CD ROMs using
>this beastie - via the Suns, or whatever? We have excellent Sun/Mac inter-
>connectivity, BTW.

>I thought there was some standard format for these beasties, right? (High
>Sierra, or somink.)

>Thanks for any help!

The SunCD drive can read any CD-ROM that was formatted in ISO 9660
(sometimes called High Sierra).  Many Mac discs are not formatted that
way.  Most PCs are.  Note, that while you can read the data you cannot
execute a Mac application from a CD on a Sun, and vice-versa.

--
     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12