[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Memory Prices: The summary

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (SAURABH MISRA) (11/13/90)

I had asked about memory prices, and here is a summary of the responses:
This post is a summary of the responses of all the helpful Mac'ers
about memory purchasing.  It is basically a list of the cheapest
dealers nationwide who offer a toll free number. There may be cheaper
dealers but they may not offer a toll free line for price verification

 I decided to purchase only 2 Megs right now and if that
does not cure my 'Not enough memory for that application' message
then I will purchase 2 more Megs, this may be the route of choice
for most of you.  At least two people responded saying that memory
prices will stabilize soon, and that the rate of price change over
time as been approaching zero (i.e. d$/dt-->0, for you mathematicians)
These prices may not be current and valid.  Make sure that you get
lifetime warranty on your memory since almost all the dealers are
offering this at low prices.  Also make sure you get 80ns, since
if you plan at all to upgrade, anything slower is not good
 Many dealers do not offer instructions so you may
want to ask (if you want a text only version, please e mail me )
You will also need a toolkit if you have a Plus or SE type machine
I got help in installation, you may need it too.

THE CHIP MERCHANT (with no exception this seems to be THE CHEAPEST
dealer around $38/Meg 800-426-6375. No credit cards,
Address to order: 9541 Ridgehaven Court
                  Suite A, San Diego, CA 92123)

TEXAS MACSTUF   (around $42/meg 800-MAC-STUF, credit cards okay)
no address given, phone orders okay

PERIPHERAL OUTLET (800-332-6581, credit card order add 3% around $43/Meg)

MEMORY INTERNATIONAL (800-266-0488, credit card orders okay around $43/meg)

SII MICROS (800 424 1126, around 42/meg, Credit card okay)

MEMORY PLUS (800-388-PLUS, around $42/meg, credit cards okay)

MACPRODUCTS USA (800 MAC DISK, around $43/Meg, Credit cards okay)

These are the most often referred to dealers, with the Chip Merchant
the most popular, there were others, but I could not verify them
all)  A lifetime warranty is no good if the dealer goes out of business
in 6 months. I had at least two instances where the dealer gave me
a higher price, and then when I referred to the lower price given to me
by one of you, they quickly said, 'Er, yes that is the new current price'
so make sure you are getting the lowest price version quote.

THE ACCURACY OF THE ABOVE LIST IS NOT WARRANTED. PLEASE FORGIVE ME
FOR ANY MISTAKES!! I do not intend to advertise for or advertise
against any particular merchant.

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (11/14/90)

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (SAURABH MISRA) writes:
Some very nice memory prices, thanks for posting!

Also:
>You will also need a toolkit if you have a Plus or SE type machine
>I got help in installation, you may need it too.

You don't need a toolkit, all you really need is a long handled torx wrench
(T-15), and if you have an internal HD in your SE a Phillips screwdriver
(probably #2).

The wrench is hard hard hard to find, either borrow (best) or use a torx
bit with thin extension or have a section added to a normal torx wrench.

The SE or Plus case can be pulled off with some work, usually not very much.

Don't forget grounding!

--
Brian Aslakson

aslakson@cs.umn.edu