[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple scanner experience/advice?

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) (11/14/90)

Does anyone have any pointed comments, good or bad, about the basic
Apple scanner?  I've got a couple users who are facing the decision
to buy one on state contract [easy, cost approx. $1250] or try to
get another model on bids [much dreary paperwork, cost = ??].  Site-
specific problem is that to seek bids for an item thats ALSO on
state contract, you have to prove that the state contract item
can't meet your specs, so there would need to be some notable
feature the Apple scanner doesn't have but Brand X does.

Intended applications are fairly simple:  mostly monochrome and
limited gray-scale for scientific publications;  some color capacity
might be occasionally useful.

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

reg@Unify.Com (Russell Grau) (11/14/90)

In article <26894.273ff0d0@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:
>Does anyone have any pointed comments, good or bad, about the basic
>Apple scanner?  I've got a couple users who are facing the decision
>to buy one on state contract [easy, cost approx. $1250] or try to

Not too bad a price for a simple gray scale/line art scanner.

>Intended applications are fairly simple:  mostly monochrome and
>limited gray-scale for scientific publications;  some color capacity
>might be occasionally useful.

I had a plain Apple Scanner.  I used it for 18 months scanning line art for
use in our church's newletters, posters, bulletins, etc.  It worked wonder-
fully for that.  I use it for limited gray scale scanning.  Performed well.

Color - for $1250??  Don't think so.  The Apple Scanner is b+w only (course
there may always be add ons that allow for color scanning, but not on the
out of the box scanner).

>Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
>SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
>913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

Good luck.

--
/*   Russell Grau            (916) 920-9092                 reg@unify.com    */