[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple CheapColorMonitor

dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) (11/14/90)

I have been working with a prototype seed LC unit for a couple of months
(back when it was called the "Pinball" :-) both in the original 4-bit
video system and the shipping 8-bit video system. Also got one of the
12" Apple CheapTrashMonitors.

Based on that experience, I'd say you're absolutely right. They used a lot
of the same technology they employed when building the cheap Apple //gs
color screens, and it shows. The pixels are larger than 72DPI, but that's
no big deal. What bugs me is that the color is not as rich or detailed as
on the Apple 13" RGB, and the subtle color differences don't come across
very well.

The monitor is just fine for, say, educational and home use. The 8bit display
is definitely a win situation for Apple (now they don't have to reckon with
yet another display "standard") and the extra colors are really nice.
But if you're going to do serious work with color, I suggest you go with the
Apple 13" RGB. It's not only far better than the Apple 12", it's far better
than most other screens on the market.

_Dan
--
| Same as it ever was  | Dan Schwarz, MB 2926 Brandeis U. | RECYCLE YOUR JUNK|
| Same as it ever was  | I'NET dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  |------------------|

brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.032804.944@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) writes:
>What bugs me is that the color is not as rich or detailed as
>on the Apple 13" RGB, and the subtle color differences don't come across
>very well.

So, does this mean that an application running on the 13" RGB that
is "color-balanced" (looks just right) will not appear so on the 12" monitor?

BRANDON G. LOVESTED        ::::=:::==::===:====   FOR EVERY VISION,
Software Design Engineer   ::::=:::==::===:====   THERE IS AN
Grass Valley Group         ::::=:::==::===:====   EQUAL AND OPPOSITE
brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com  ::::=:::==::===:====   REVISION.