[comp.sys.mac.hardware] superdrive reads PC floppies?

rdonis@crcvms.unl.edu (11/12/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-

I got a new IIci a couple of days ago. I was told that the MacIIci superdrive
was capable of reading IBM PC DOS diskettes.
When I insert an IBM floppy into the mac id does not recognize it!!!
Can anybody help??
Did I get an old Mac that was sitting in a warehouse for some time?
Thanks
Ruben Donis

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov12.042100.17863@hoss.unl.edu> rdonis@crcvms.unl.edu writes:

>I got a new IIci a couple of days ago. I was told that the MacIIci superdrive
>was capable of reading IBM PC DOS diskettes.

It is, but you must be running Apple File Exchange when you insert the
DOS disk. Or you can buy DOS Mounter from Dayna Corporation. This is an
init that allows the MAC to recognize a DOS disk from the finder. I
find this init very helpful.

>Did I get an old Mac that was sitting in a warehouse for some time?

No. But the manual does explain how to use this feature.

--
X-----------------------------------------------------------------------------X
X	David Baird				xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

v109lptc@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Mark R Waldmiller) (11/12/90)

>I got a new IIci a couple of days ago. I was told that the MacIIci superdrive
>was capable of reading IBM PC DOS diskettes.
>When I insert an IBM floppy into the mac id does not recognize it!!!
>Can anybody help??
>Did I get an old Mac that was sitting in a warehouse for some time?
>Thanks
>Ruben Donis

IBM PC floppies can be read with the apple file exchange program provided on
your system disks.

				-Mark Waldmiller

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov12.042100.17863@hoss.unl.edu> rdonis@crcvms.unl.edu writes:

>I got a new IIci a couple of days ago. I was told that the MacIIci superdrive
>was capable of reading IBM PC DOS diskettes.
>When I insert an IBM floppy into the mac id does not recognize it!!!
>Can anybody help??
>Did I get an old Mac that was sitting in a warehouse for some time?

You need Apple File Exchange which comes with the system to translate files
back and forth. But there are better ways like using AccessPC or DosMounterInit
to put an MS-DOS disk on the desktop.

However, this brings up a question that I have for the net.  I heard from
someone directly that System 7 supports MS-DOS formatted disks within the
Finder. Yet, I had someone else try it, and it didn't work under b1.

Any clarification on this rumor?

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/13/90)

There's a program even better than Apple File Exchange: it's DOS MOUNTER.
It lets you mount MSDOS disks directly on the Finder desktop.  They work
just like any normal Mac disk; you see icons, you can copy to/from the disk,
etc.  Much much better than Apple File Exchange.  Only problem is, it's
commercial.
Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (11/13/90)

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:

>However, this brings up a question that I have for the net.  I heard from
>someone directly that System 7 supports MS-DOS formatted disks within the
>Finder. Yet, I had someone else try it, and it didn't work under b1.

>Any clarification on this rumor?

  The original Apple documentation on System 7 mentioned that "hooks" would
be built into 7.0 to allow for foreign file systems to be handled
transparently at the Finder level, but that Apple would NOT be putting out
such a product themselves... instead leaving it for third parties to provide
the necessary utilities.

  Of course this is almost 18 months old news... who knows what they're up to
now?

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Jim Bolger - a National landslide of incompetence

motley@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Thomas Schwebel) (11/15/90)

In order to read a PC disk you have to first open the Apple File Exchange U
Utility  in the Utilities Disk that came with your system.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!motley
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!motley@nosc.mil
INET: motley@pnet51.orb.mn.org