[net.columbia] Censorship in Canada

radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) (02/23/86)

> The individual refered to is doubtless Ernst Zundel, a rabid neo-Nazi
> who lives in Canada but is not a Canadian, and who has stated publicly
> and repeatedly that
> 1. Hitler remains one of his heroes.
> 2. There is an international Jewish conspiracy, etc.
> 3. The Holocaust is a Jewish lie, etc.
> This Zundel has repeatedly published anti-semitic hate literature
> and supports and is financially supported by
> a variety of neo-Nazi groups.  He was jailed because actively inciting
> hatred against any identifiable group in Canada is illegal.
> (Zundel may be deported after his release from prison.)
>
> It is certainly not clear to this reader why such an example equates the
> censorship of the media in Canada to the USSR.  As other submissions have
> indicated, there is no such equivalence.
>
> Name:   Richard Snell

The above is correct, except that Zundel was convicted of "spreading false
news", not inciting hatred. The "news" referred to was the claim that the
Jewish Holocaust was a hoax. (He was acquitted on the charge referring to
the "international Jewish consipiracy", not because he didn't believe in one
of course.)

I agree that censorship in Canada is not equivalent to that in the USSR,
but I do not think that is a reason for complacency. It is disturbing that
a law designed to prevent statements causing panic in the population can
be applied to claims concerning events of forty years ago, unaccompanied by
any suggestions for immediate action.

The conviction of Jim Keegstra a few months later was perhaps even more
disturbing. Keegstra is a crackpot who, I am certain from personal knowledge,
actually believes what he says (including claims that the Holocaust was
greatly exaggerated). Furthermore, he does NOT promote hatred on racial
grounds; he's more of a religious nut who doesn't like Judaism the religion,
at least as practiced by modern Jews, and opposes the Jewish culture. If this
is illegal, then presumably anyone who states that the Aztecs performed
human sacrifices also runs the risk of jail.

       Radford Neal

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (02/23/86)

In article <162@calgary.UUCP> radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) writes:
>> The individual refered to is doubtless Ernst Zundel, a rabid neo-Nazi
>> who lives in Canada but is not a Canadian, and who has stated publicly
>> and repeatedly that
>> 1. Hitler remains one of his heroes.
>> 2. There is an international Jewish conspiracy, etc.
>> 3. The Holocaust is a Jewish lie, etc.
>> This Zundel has repeatedly published anti-semitic hate literature
>> and supports and is financially supported by
>> a variety of neo-Nazi groups.  He was jailed because actively inciting
>> hatred against any identifiable group in Canada is illegal.
>> (Zundel may be deported after his release from prison.) [Richard Snell]
>
>The above is correct, except that Zundel was convicted of "spreading false
>news", not inciting hatred. The "news" referred to was the claim that the
>Jewish Holocaust was a hoax.

Most of the verbiage that goes out over the net about Zundel is based
on things the poster read about Zundel (a) on the net, (b) in the
newspapers.  The people who depend on source (a) are doomed to repeat
each other's mistakes, most likely with volume and vehemence increasing
over time.  Source (b) is generally lacking in relevant details, making
it impossible for the reader to form an informed opinion.  (When the
newspapers do manage to provide the reader with enough information to
make a decision, they are accused of bias.  They just can't win, eh?)

The people who favour censoring Zundel generally call what he wrote
hate literature.  Those who oppose censoring Zundel are more likely to
call it false news, or something similar.  The difference between hate
literature and false news is the difference between "The Jews are vile
sub-human scum, let's kill 'em" and "The holocaust never actually
happened, it's all a gigantic hoax".

In order to find out the real facts of the case, it would be necessary
to lay hands on the court transcripts and Zundel's book (in order to
decide whether it's hate literature or false news).  I vaguely recall
that transcripts are hideously expensive.  (Can anybody tell us what
the cost is?  In addition to the cost, a great deal of spare time for
reading is required.) Zundel's book can't be obtained legally, and I
have no idea how to go about obtaining it illegally.

Two important pieces of evidence that one might use to judge the
government's actions are quite difficult to obtain, and it's the
government's actions that have made them so.  Hmmm.
--
David Canzi

"I wept because I had no woman, until I met a man who had no hands."

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (02/24/86)

I think that here in Canada, everyone is entitled to their own personal views
on something, no matter what the majority believes is true.  This is
"private" and "legal".

I think the problem occurs when someone begins to express his opinions.  This
too, is legal.  It is when you decide that everyone else must believe what
you believe and when you spread your opinions as the truth and not as opinion,
when you remove the possiblity of dissent, then you have abuse your right of
freedom of speech.  That, I believe, is illegal.  (And morally wrong, to boot.)

Please note:  the above statements are *my opinion* and you may agree with
them or disagree with them as you choose.  Let's talk.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/03/86)

> I think that here in Canada, everyone is entitled to their own personal views
> on something, no matter what the majority believes is true.  This is
> "private" and "legal".
>
> I think the problem occurs when someone begins to express his opinions.  This
> too, is legal.  It is when you decide that everyone else must believe what
> you believe and when you spread your opinions as the truth and not as opinion,
> when you remove the possiblity of dissent, then you have abuse your right of
> freedom of speech.  That, I believe, is illegal.  (And morally wrong, to boot.)

Define the difference between "truth" and "opinion" in a manner not open
to abuse, please.  Incidentally, you refer to labelling opinion (or I
presume, even lies) as truth as "remove the possibility of dissent".  And
you think banning a book and locking someone in prison is less severe
a restriction on dissent than publishing lies as truth?

> Please note:  the above statements are *my opinion* and you may agree with
> them or disagree with them as you choose.  Let's talk.

Talk?  Will the Canadian Government allow it?  (In spite of their best efforts,
the American Government will.)

hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (03/03/86)

>	..many lines of discussion on censorship, Canada, USSR, etc.

Once more, with feeling:
Can we please move this discussion OUT of net.columbia?  It obviously has no relation to the purpose of this newsgroup, and I'm sure that there are others who
are sick and tired of reading this.  If I wanted to discuss censorship, I'd
subscribe to net.politics. PLEASE refrain from posting more material on this
subject.  Thank you.

Robert J. Hammen		{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!uwvax!puff!hammen
U. of Wisc. CS Dept.					     !gumby!hammen
U. of Wisc. Plasma Physics Dept.  hammen@puff.wisc.edu
Manta Software Corp.		   hammen@gumby.wisc.edu