[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mouse problem with Mac SE/30

mark@shl.com (Mark Batten) (11/15/90)

I'm having a problem with my Mac SE/30 and its mouse (an A+ Optical Mouse).

Specifically, I turn on the system power and start moving the mouse.
The cursor tracks the mouse movements until the "happy-face" icon appears.
At that point, the cursor vanishes from the screen.  After the system has
finished booting and the Finder Desktop appears, the cursor reappears,
but it does not respond to mouse movements.  Note that I am currently
running Finder, not MultiFinder.  I am using the 6.0.5 system.

This problem is not cleared up by pressing the programmer reset button.
It is usually cleared up by turning off the power and restarting.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this, or know what is causing it?
Other than adding Disk Doubler, I have not added or subtracted inits recently.

Thanks for any help,
    Mark Batten  (mark@shl.com)

In article <1990Nov14.182332.6632@shl.com> mark@shl.com (Mark Batten) writes:

>Specifically, I turn on the system power and start moving the mouse.
>The cursor tracks the mouse movements until the "happy-face" icon appears.
>At that point, the cursor vanishes from the screen.  After the system has
>finished booting and the Finder Desktop appears, the cursor reappears,
>but it does not respond to mouse movements.  Note that I am currently
>running Finder, not MultiFinder.  I am using the 6.0.5 system.

Happens on a Mac II w/6.05 when any key is down on the keyboard during boot--
i.e. caps lock, shift, command, option...

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.182332.6632@shl.com> mark@shl.com (Mark Batten) writes:

   Specifically, I turn on the system power and start moving the mouse.
   The cursor tracks the mouse movements until the "happy-face" icon appears.
   At that point, the cursor vanishes from the screen.  After the system has
   finished booting and the Finder Desktop appears, the cursor reappears,
   but it does not respond to mouse movements.  Note that I am currently
   running Finder, not MultiFinder.  I am using the 6.0.5 system.

   This problem is not cleared up by pressing the programmer reset button.
   It is usually cleared up by turning off the power and restarting.

I have this same problem with my Kensington TurboMouse.  I think it
has something to do with System 6.0.7.  If I reboot the Mac it works
again, and since I have my old mouse still connected, I don't worry
about it (yet).

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | No Jacket
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University | Required.
(617) 894-6859              | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |   Phil C.