[net.columbia] World Commentary on Challenger

ecl@mtgzy.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (02/24/86)

The following quotes regarding the Challenger from around the world are
courtesy of WORLD PRESS REVIEW:

AUSTRALIA: The Australian, Sidney:
	"The quest for knowledge, the journeys into space, must go on."

BRAZIL: Jornal do Brasil, Rio de Janeiro:
	"The expansion of mankind's frontiers transcends nationalities.
	... Science has claimed new martyrs ... but it is certain that
	the project will continue."

CANADA: Toronto Star, Toronto:
	"The ill-fated flight of the Challenger shocked the world....
	We mourn the deaths of Challenger's crew.  And we look to the
	future."

EGYPT: Al-Ahram, Cairo:
	[the space program] "will not be halted, [particularly considering
	that the Soviet Union is believed to be] preparing a major space
	operation."

FRANCE: La Monde, Paris:
	"The [seven crew members] were crusaders for the cause of progress."

GERMANY: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Frankfurt:
	"The debate over the costs and value of space travelm including
	its military uses, will be open and heated.  But the catastrophe
	has displayed the best trait of the American national character:
	intrepidness."

GERMANY: General-Anzeiger, Bonn:
	"Space-flight euphoria has been dampened.  What may affect Western
	Europe is that ... establishing a perfect anti-missile system in
	space has become ... more questionable."

GREAT BRITAIN: The Economist, London:
	[urges] "a bold new plan for exploration ... using unmanned
	spacecraft to visit Mars and ... robots to go beyond."

GREAT BRITAIN: The Economist, London:
	"The symbolism of the enterprise [and] the publicity of the
	tragedy have combined to deal a bad blow to the American people."

HONG KONG: South China Morning Post, Hong Kong:
	"Let us ... tell America there can be no turning back."

INDIA: Indian Express, New Delhi:
	"The accident has doubtless delivered a major blow to the U.S.
	space program.  [The tragedy] underlines the importance of
	keeping the space program ... peaceful.... Militarization of
	space could have consequences infinitely more disastrous."

INDIA: Times of India, New Delhi/Bombay:
	"The death of the seven ... is by far the worst tragesdy since man
	first put a satellite in orbit."

IRELAND: Irish Times, Dublin:
	"Is it possible that this sense of confidence led to some loss of
	vigilance?"

ISRAEL: Ha'aretz, Tel Aviv:
	"The blast is a brutal expression of the trial-and-error process
	in space.  Strolls on the moon and the repair of satellites have
	become so commonplace that ... the reality that this is only the
	beginning of the road is not easily accepted."

ISRAEL: Ha'aretz, Tel Aviv:
	"One question especially emerges--that of the Strategic Defense
	Initiative ("Star Wars")....  The Challenger disaster already has
	served Mikhail Gobachev in his campaign against it."

ITALY: La Repubblica, Rome:
	"Despite President Reagan's promise that 'the journey will
	continue,' there is strong fear that the Challenger may be ...
	what the Hindenberg was ...: a death certificate."

ITALY: La Stumpa, Turin:
	"The dream of an American reaching for space does not end in the
	burning wreckage of the Challenger."

JAMAICA: Sunday Gleaner, Kingston:
	"This has not been a purely American tragedy but one in which
	the world has shared."

JAPAN: Asahi Shimbun, Tokyo:
	"The Challenger disaster came as a shocking reminder that space
	exploration has yet to become routine."

JAPAN: Mainichi Shuimbun, Tokyo:
	"the worst accident in the history of space development."

QATAR: Gulf Times, Doha:
	"The Challenger disaster is catastrophic not only for the U.S. but
	also for universal man."

SAUDI ARABIA: Arab News, Jidda:
	"... a devastating setback for NASA."

SOUTH AFRICA: The Citizen, Johannesburg:
	"Space travel has been reduced to human terms."

SOUTH KOREA: Korea Herald, Seoul:
	"We are sure that this tragedy will not deter the U.S. in its
	quest to explore the universe.  The American pioneer spirit
	certainly will [prevail]."

SOUTH KOREA: Kyunghyang Shinmun, Seoul:
	[the disaster] "will hurt the American people's sense of honor
	and deal them a psychological blow."

USSR: Izvestia, Moscow:
	"The American masses continue to grieve for those who perished.
	But the businessmen associated with the shuttle program are
	pondering how to avoid losing their planned profits."

USSR: Pravda, Moscow:
	"In each of us that flaming column, carrying away the lives of
	seven valient persons, left a deep pain in the soul."

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl
					(or ihnp4!mtgzy!ecl)

archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) (02/27/86)

======== Here appeared numerous quotes from around the world,
======== then the following:

> USSR: Izvestia, Moscow:
> 	"The American masses continue to grieve for those who perished.
> 	But the businessmen associated with the shuttle program are
> 	pondering how to avoid losing their planned profits."
>
> USSR: Pravda, Moscow:
> 	"In each of us that flaming column, carrying away the lives of
> 	seven valient persons, left a deep pain in the soul."

While the first quote was a typical (but certainly true) anti-Capitalist
observation, the second quote from Pravda was exactly the way I felt when
I watched the Challenger disintegrate.  It we3the best quote of the bunch.

--

		Garry Archer			ihnp4!hsi!archer
		Health Systems International

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (03/04/86)

<BUG?!>

In article <320@hsi.UUCP>, archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) writes:

> > USSR: Izvestia, Moscow:
> > 	"The American masses continue to grieve for those who perished.
> > 	But the businessmen associated with the shuttle program are
> > 	pondering how to avoid losing their planned profits."

  This can be made into an accurate statement by inserting the word "also"
just before the word "pondering"; "...are also pondering..."  (meant in the
sense of 'in addition to').

> > USSR: Pravda, Moscow:
> > 	"In each of us that flaming column, carrying away the lives of
> > 	seven valient persons, left a deep pain in the soul."

  This just goes to prove.... There are some warm, sensitive human beings
in Russia, too.

       Robert Bickford     (rab@well.uucp)
|   Now THESE are definitely my own opinions.  |