[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Tips needed on adding 2nd internal hard disk to a Mac II

dan@s3sol.scubed (Dan Peterka) (11/16/90)

We have had to remove a 40 MB disk out of a IIsi and I would like to
make this disk a second internal drive on an old Mac II. I'll simply
screw this Conner drive into the chassis where the second floppy would
go. I'll also need to set the SCSI ID jumpers on the Conners (Anyone
know off hand what the jumper settings are on these? CP3040A's) and
deal with the terminators.

I'd like to know what I have to do wrt to power and SCSI ribbon cable
though. Can I simply make Y cables or should they be Daisy-chained?
Are there off-the-shelf kits to do this?

  Disk 1  Disk 2     Disk 1  Disk 2
     |    |             |______|
      \  /       OR:     \            How about the power cables?
       \/                 \
     SCSI Conn          SCSI Conn

Dan Peterka                      S-CUBED              3398 Carmel Mtn Rd.
dan@scubed.scubed.com        (619) 587-8338           San Diego, CA 92121

In article <DAN.90Nov15132326@s3sol.scubed> dan@s3sol.scubed (Dan Peterka) writes:

>I'd like to know what I have to do wrt to power and SCSI ribbon cable
>though. Can I simply make Y cables or should they be Daisy-chained?
>Are there off-the-shelf kits to do this?
>
>  Disk 1  Disk 2     Disk 1  Disk 2
>     |    |             |______|
>      \  /       OR:     \            How about the power cables?
>       \/                 \
>     SCSI Conn          SCSI Conn

The second one.  Make sure that disk 2 is terminated and disk 1 is not.  I
think you can use a Y with the power.

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) (11/16/90)

In article <DAN.90Nov15132326@s3sol.scubed> dan@s3sol.scubed (Dan Peterka) writes:

>I'd like to know what I have to do wrt to power and SCSI ribbon cable
>though. Can I simply make Y cables or should they be Daisy-chained?
>Are there off-the-shelf kits to do this?
>
>  Disk 1  Disk 2     Disk 1  Disk 2
>     |    |             |______|
>      \  /       OR:     \            How about the power cables?
>     SCSI Conn          SCSI Conn
>
>--
SCSI connections should be daisychained, not Y'ed.
(for the classic violation of this rule, see the inside of any Sun
Sparcstation w/2 drives...)

--
Ken Stamm (ken@slhisc.uucp, sun.com!gotham!slhisc!ken) (212)341-3868
Shearson Lehman Brothers, 390 Greenwich St. 4W, New York NY 10013