[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac to "normal" postscript conversion.

gregg@ios.Convergent.COM (Gregg Donley) (11/15/90)

I am looking for some information about postscript files.  What I want to do
is take a Macintosh generated postscript file and port it to a unix box and
print it on the attached postscript printer.  I guess I need either a
conversion utility for the postscript file or a driver for the Mac that
outputs the appropriate flavor of postscript.  My target printers are a
Fujitsu RX7100PS or a Data Products LZR-2600.  Does anyone no how to do
this?  What is unique about Mac Postscript files anyway?  Any info would
be appreciated.  Thanks.

gregg@ios.Convergent.COM

fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Phred Dushin) (11/16/90)

In article <1036@ios.Convergent.COM> gregg@ios.Convergent.COM (Gregg Donley) writes:

>I am looking for some information about postscript files.  What I want to do
>is take a Macintosh generated postscript file and port it to a unix box and
>print it on the attached postscript printer.  I guess I need either a
>...deleted

Get macps of the sumex archives (info-mac/unix/macps)
Install it on your unix system.
Send mac-generated ps files through it.
Print it.
Am I forgetting something (anyone)?

Fred Dushin  				Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
Internet:				Bitnet:
fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu 		fadushin@sunrise.bitnet
(FYI, RODAN is a Sun4 running SunOS Release 4.1_PSR_A.)

bklaas@gila.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.211032.18640@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Phred Dushin) writes:
|> In article <1036@ios.Convergent.COM> gregg@ios.Convergent.COM (Gregg Donley) writes:
|> >
|> >I am looking for some information about postscript files.  What I want to do
|> >is take a Macintosh generated postscript file and port it to a unix box and
|> >print it on the attached postscript printer.  I guess I need either a
|> >...deleted
|>
|> Get macps of the sumex archives (info-mac/unix/macps)
|> Install it on your unix system.
|> Send mac-generated ps files through it.
|> Print it.
|> Am I forgetting something (anyone)?
|>
|> Fred Dushin  				Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
|> Internet:				Bitnet:
|> fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu 		fadushin@sunrise.bitnet
|> (FYI, RODAN is a Sun4 running SunOS Release 4.1_PSR_A.)

Has anyone had any luck with macps and LaserPrep 6.0.2 (The newest
version, I think).  I have made several attempts, and have had absolutly
no luck.

-Brian

--
** Brian Klaas, Design Engineer     ***  DISCLAIMER:  All opinions           **
** Intel Corporation                ***     stated here are strictly my own. **

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (11/16/90)

In article <999@inews.intel.com> bklaas@sedona.intel.com writes:
>Has anyone had any luck with macps and LaserPrep 6.0.2 (The newest
>version, I think).  I have made several attempts, and have had absolutly
>no luck.

I have not tried this yet but if you have not uploaded the new laserprep and
used the prepfix utility that comes with macps to prepare it and install it
into the appropriate directory, command-F files generated on a Mac with that
laserprep file WON'T work.

If you have already done this, I don't know what the problem might be.

Also, once I sent a note to the author of macps because it was not working on
our system and he sent a fix. His name and e-mail address are in the macps
shell archive file somewhere in case you have problems.

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (11/17/90)

>In article <999@inews.intel.com> bklaas@sedona.intel.com writes:

>>Has anyone had any luck with macps and LaserPrep 6.0.2 (The newest
>>version, I think).  I have made several attempts, and have had absolutly
>>no luck.

Sorry, i missed the original posting, but yes... from the brief tests I
have run, macps appears to be incompatible with 6.0.2 and 7.0b laserwriter
drivers. 6.0.1 works fine.

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"