[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New Deskwriter Ink Question

stovsky@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Michael Stovsky) (11/16/90)

Hello netters!

I have a three or so month old Deskwriter & have anxiously awaited HP's
release of the non-smear ink.  I recently saw a store's Deskwriter that had
a "new" ink cartridge & printed out a couple of pages on it.  To me, the
printouts looked fuzzier & had more "spider legs" than the output I get from
my printer.  I even brought a couple of sheets of paper along, so I would be
sure to be using the same stuff.

My question is:  Does the new ink result in poorer quality output, or are
my observations incorrect or the result of viewing output from a potentially
abused machine that is beyond its prime?

Thanks in advance!

Still using the smeary stuff...

	Mike
	(stovsky@cis.ohio-state.edu)

robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) (11/17/90)

The new ink usually provides better PQ than the old, but there are a few
papers on which the new ink is worse (in the study I saw, about 2/3 of the
papers tested got better, with only a couple that got worse).  Unfortunately,
most dealers use really lousy paper for their demos.  Some quick reccomendations (these are what I use) - Gilbert Bond for good stuff, Xerox 4024 for
everyday use.  On both of these, the new ink is better than the old.

bob taylor
HP Vancouver

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (11/18/90)

In article <1170006@hp-vcd.HP.COM> robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) writes:
>The new ink usually provides better PQ than the old, but there are a few
>papers on which the new ink is worse (in the study I saw, about 2/3 of the
>papers tested got better, with only a couple that got worse).  Unfortunately,
>most dealers use really lousy paper for their demos.  Some quick reccomendations (these are what I use) - Gilbert Bond for good stuff, Xerox 4024 for
>everyday use.  On both of these, the new ink is better than the old.
>
>bob taylor
>HP Vancouver

Bob,
  What exactly are the best papers to use with the new ink. I really wish HP
would send out a newsletter covering this issue, because alot of us don't
have the time or money to go out and test hundreds of papers. It would be
very nice to have a top ten list of papers to refer to.
                               Cheers...
                                     Jack

robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) (11/20/90)

Since I've gotten a couple of requests, here is a quick "reccomendation" of
papers that's been cirulated around here.  No guarantees - I personally
haven't tried most of these, but this is what our ink people have told us
to reccomend:

In the US:
Bond:    Gilbert Bond                    Gilbert Paper
         Neenah Classic Laid             Neenah Paper

Copier:  Xerox 4024                      Xerox
         Champion Datacopy               Champion International
         Chief Xerographic               Mead
         Yorktown Xerographic            Union Camp

In Europe:
Bond     Conqueror                       Wiggins Teape
         Magnor Maresquel                Iridium
         Clairefontaine:Clairalfa        Clairfontaine

Copier   Rank Xerox 80                   Xerox
         Reymat                          Aussedat Rey
         Reylux                          Aussedat Rey
         Multicopy                       Nymolla

These are just some that theoretically work well with the new inks - it
doesn't imply anything about any papers that aren't on this list.  A lot
of stores that sell paper may let you take a sheet or two to try - if there
is a paper that you want to use that isn't on this list, the best thing to
do is try to find a sample and try it.

hope this helps -

bob taylor