[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard Disk Problem: Too Slow

newsuser@efd.lth.se (News server connection) (11/13/90)

Hi!
I am not sure that this is the right newsgroup for this question but here
it comes anyway:

I had a Mac IIfx with a 80MB Quantum hard disk. As you all know, 80MB is not
very much so i bought a 170MB Quantum disk and installed it besides the
original 80MB disk and changed SCSI ids and everything and it almosts works.

My problem is that the original 80MB disk is slower too start up than the
170MB disk, which means that the fx boots from the 170MB disk, which is ok,
but then I have to restart the machine because the 80MB disk doesn't appear
on the desktop when I do a cold boot. When I restart everything is ok.
I could solve this (perhaps, I haven't tried) by using QuickKeys 2 and
SCSI-probe, but seems like a kludge.

My question is: Is there anyway th change the time that the Mac waits for
the hard disk when you turn it on?

If you have this information, or any other ways to solve my problem, please
respond by email to:
e85ss@rigel.efd.lth.se

Thanks,
Stefan Strand, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden

===Stefan Strand,  Lund Institute of Technology,  Sweden==============
Mail:  Stefan Strand                 Internet:  e85ss@rigel.efd.lth.se
       Magistratsvagen 55 Y:405      or         e85ss@efd.lth.se
       S-222 44 LUND                 Telephone: +46-46132375
       Sweden

landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (11/20/90)

In article <0093F9A0.74E03240@rigel.efd.lth.se> e85ss@rigel.efd.lth.se (Stefan Strand) writes:
>My question is: Is there anyway th change the time that the Mac waits for
>the hard disk when you turn it on?

You could always add more memory.  That REALLY slows down startup on a
Mac Plus ... but I'm not sure how much it would help on a IIfx.

Another option might be to not have a system folder on the disk that
comes up early.

--
	Howard A. Landman
	landman@eng.sun.com -or- sun!landman