[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Broken sim slot in SE/30- HELP!

matchick@bgsuvax.UUCP (Brian Matchick) (11/19/90)

   While installing new sims in the SE/30 where I work, I managed to
bust the little tab-things off the lower (eighth?) sim mount.  I am using
an eraser I've wedged between the sim in the broken slot and the next
higher slot to keep everything in place.  It worked for a while.  But
lately we've been having system lock-ups and the SE occasionally plays that
nice memory error music on startup.  Comp. Services on compus says that
a board replacement is the only fix (i.e. $300).  But someone told me
there is a company who will replace the sim mount for less money.
I would like to make this fix a cheep as possible for the office- I
feel bad enough for busting their computer in the first place.  Any
advice or info would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you,
Brian

"What is good, Phaedrus,     Brian Matchick           Bowling Green State
and what is not good?        317 Manville Apt "S"     University-
Need we ask anyone           Bowling Green, Oh  43402
to tell us these things?"    (419) 354-2292

 CS-NET addr-       matchick@andy.bgsuvax.edu

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (11/21/90)

  YES!!!  I broke my socket six months ago and have been making do with a
rubber band!!!  If anyone knows of someplace which will fix it, tell us!  I
posted such a question at the time and nobody answered!  Someone must
know!!?!?!
'
-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (11/21/90)

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:

>  YES!!!  I broke my socket six months ago and have been making do with a
>rubber band!!!  If anyone knows of someplace which will fix it, tell us!  I

If you break the little tabs that clamp the SIMMs down, don't sweat it.  Just
make sure to seat it firmly, and don't shake your Mac.  If you've broken the
whole damn socket so it doesn't work, or you get memory errors (like the other
guy) that just won't quit, try calling the places that sell memory.

And let The Rest Of Us(tm) know what you find out.

p.s. someone posted the address of a place that sells sockets, a solder your
own kind of job, a month or so ago.

--
Brian Aslakson

aslakson@cs.umn.edu
mac-admin@cs.umn.edu  <-= Macintosh related

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (11/22/90)

In article <9717@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:

>  YES!!!  I broke my socket six months ago and have been making do with a
>rubber band!!!  If anyone knows of someplace which will fix it, tell us!  I
>posted such a question at the time and nobody answered!  Someone must
>know!!?!?!
>'

SIMM Sockets can be purchased from Digi-Key at 800-344-4539.  The
sockets come in many flavors so you will have to talk to sales.

Has anybody tried soft solutions?  The folks who sell video board
repair kits.  Maybe they have them too.  Sorry, I do not have their
number.

Harold

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT