[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Quantum 105 in IIsi??

strange@sprite.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange) (11/20/90)

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier, but my news server does
not have any information on this remaining.  Is it OK to put a Quantum
105 Mb disk in a IIsi?  It looks like it will fit in the box, but I'm
concerned about power requirements, and whether it will physically be
in the way of an expansion board, if I ever decide to put one in.

Secondly, does anyone have any opinions as to what a good drive to put
in would be?  I assumed the Quantum would be a good choice, as it can be
had for about $500 mail-order, is fast, and has about the capacity I
need.  I figure I'll need a bit more disk space with system 7.0, so I'm
looking ahead a little.

Thanks in advance for any information,

	Steve Strange
	(Grad. student at Cal. Berkeley)

fjo@mtcchi.uucp (2667-Frank Owen(ZG90210)0000) (11/22/90)

strange@sprite.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange) writes:

>Secondly, does anyone have any opinions as to what a good drive to put
>in would be?  I assumed the Quantum would be a good choice, as it can be
>had for about $500 mail-order, is fast, and has about the capacity I

The Quantum LPS-105 is a 1/3 ht. drive that might be a better choice.
It is selling for $540 mail-order. It is supposedly faster than the
PRO series, and requires less power. It is a new drive however, and
as such, is not as "proven" as the pro-series drives may be.

--
	Frank Owen (fjo@mtc.com)  708-305-3182
	Memorex-Telex Corporation   Indian Hill Court

dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov21.185148.23458@mtcchi.uucp> fjo@mtcchi.uucp (2667-Frank Owen(ZG90210)0000) writes:
>The Quantum LPS-105 is a 1/3 ht. drive that might be a better choice.
>It is selling for $540 mail-order. It is supposedly faster than the
>PRO series, and requires less power. It is a new drive however, and
>as such, is not as "proven" as the pro-series drives may be.
>	Frank Owen (fjo@mtc.com)  708-305-3182

Proven, shmooven. I just got my Mac IIsi and noticed that it comes with a
Quantum LPS-80 drive; this was a surprise because the beta seed unit I was
using employed a Connor mechanism. I haven't had a chance to use my new machine
very much, but the drive seems quiet and fast. Noting the quality of previous
Quantum drives (those SE/30 drive problems notwithstanding) I would have
absolutely no hesitation in purchasing a Quantum LPS-105. I think that's a good
suggestion for a drive to buy - if it's good enough for Apple, it's good enough
for me :-)

_dan

--
| wheel is turnin' and | Dan Schwarz, MB 2926 Brandeis U. | RECYCLE YOUR JUNK|
| it can't slow down,  | I'NET dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  |------------------|