[comp.sys.mac.hardware] DeskWriter burning a resistor? What's going on?

pablo@b11.ingr.com (Pablo Fernicola) (11/24/90)

There was an article on MacWeek about the DeskWriter and Mac II's.  Basically
the article said that if a resistor burns on the Mac II board, the DeskWriter
would not work right.  What is not clear from the article is whether the
DeskWriter is causing the resistor to burn, whether this happens all the time
and only the DeskWriter notices it, and what is the fix?  Also, does this
apply to the "old" DeskWriter without AppleTalk capability (which is the
one I have)?

A couple of mail order places are not carrying the DeskWriter anymore because
of this.

Any info is wellcomed!

Thanks,
-Pablo
--
	Pablo F. Fernicola		|	b11!pablo!pff@ingr.com
Ferni~Cola - the real thing		|

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (11/26/90)

In article <9476@b11.ingr.com> pablo@b11.ingr.com (Pablo Fernicola) writes:
>There was an article on MacWeek about the DeskWriter and Mac II's.  Basically
>the article said that if a resistor burns on the Mac II board, the DeskWriter
>would not work right.  What is not clear from the article is whether the
>DeskWriter is causing the resistor to burn, whether this happens all the time
>and only the DeskWriter notices it, and what is the fix?  Also, does this
>apply to the "old" DeskWriter without AppleTalk capability (which is the
>one I have)?
>
>A couple of mail order places are not carrying the DeskWriter anymore because
>of this.
>
>Any info is wellcomed!
>
>Thanks,
>-Pablo
>--
>	Pablo F. Fernicola		|	b11!pablo!pff@ingr.com
>Ferni~Cola - the real thing		|
>			The statements above reflect only
>		my personal opinions, and for a limited time.

Pablo,
    It was clearly stated in the article that the DeskWriter did not cause this
but rather the printer is checking the electrical characteristics of the
connection to decide whether to use Appletalk to connect. The failure of the
resistor on some Macs was causing the AppleTalk connection to be electrically
out of spec. Where did you here that mail order stores are dropping the DW?
I could see where they might be a problem for stores if large numbers of Macs
are having failing resistors. The DW might have problems in sales simply because
lots of the installed base can't use it due to component failures which would
be due in no way to HP's product. Oh, well, it would be the first time Apple
had quality control problems (e.g. power supplies, Quantum Prodrives, etc.).
Actually, unless you need AppleTalk, the old-style DW with the serial connection
works fine. With ATM 2.0 and a SE/30, I get almost 2 ppm at 300 dpi.
                                   Cheers...
                                      Jack Howarth