[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Remote On/Off for Macs

tenorsax@e40-008-8.MIT.EDU (Christian Kurz) (11/23/90)

I have definite ideas of how to make a little box that will allow you to
turn your beloved Mac (or any computer for that matter) on or off from over the
phone. Wherever you are, you just call home, enter a code via the phone keypad
and then a command (either on or off) and it will turn the power to the
computer on or off. It will hook into the phone line (before your phone, modem,
answering machine or what not) and plug into the wall. A power outlet on the
box then takes the computer power plug. This will only work for non-MacII's,
i.e. Macs that don't turn on by pressing the little triangle-button on the
keyboard, but can be modified easily to work for those also.
The box should not interfere with any other device on the phone line.
For all the box knows, a coffeemaker looks exactly like a computer, so you
can also turn on your coffeemaker at home from your office, for instance.

Does anybody know of the existence of such a thing (in which case I would not
bother building one)? Is there some interest?

Don't quote me on this yet! I have the circuit worked out pretty much, but I
might still decide not to do it, if I discover a major problem I haven't
seen so far.

			Write to me, tenorsax@athena.mit.edu

wolfson@amtfocus.UUCP (Steve Wolfson) (11/27/90)

In <1990Nov22.161822.11353@athena.mit.edu> tenorsax@e40-008-8.MIT.EDU (Christian Kurz) writes:

>I have definite ideas of how to make a little box that will allow you to
>turn your beloved Mac (or any computer for that matter) on or off from over the
>phone. Wherever you are, you just call home, enter a code via the phone keypad
>and then a command (either on or off) and it will turn the power to the
>computer on or off. It will hook into the phone line (before your phone, modem,
>Does anybody know of the existence of such a thing (in which case I would not

Black Box has a tone activated power switch as well as numerous other
nifty little gadgets for doing all those wierd things that computer
manufacturer's don't seem to do.

Catalog Requests:
Black Box Inc.
P.O. Box 12800