[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Problem with SCSI drive on Mac Plus

dayao@bashful.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony B. Dayao) (11/27/90)

I have an internal hard disk that I converted to an
external SCSI drive.  The problem is that
it works with Mac SE's and Mac II's but not on Mac Plus's.
On a Mac Plus, no disk image comes out.....as if no drive is connected.
The drive was formatted using a Mac II.

All the cables are fine.  I have a SCSI terminator that works.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

I've received the ff. suggestions:
a) my EPROM's are dumb and I might need an upgrade.
b) Mac Plus'es do not provide internal termination, so I need
   a resistor pack in addition to a SCSI terminator.

My disk is a Seagate, 105MB.
Does anyone have Seagate's phone #?

Thanks,
--anthony
  dayao@cs.wisc.edu

P.S.
	Please respond directly by e-mail.  I seldom read this news group.

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (11/27/90)

dayao@bashful.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony B. Dayao) writes:

>I have an internal hard disk that I converted to an
>external SCSI drive.  The problem is that
>it works with Mac SE's and Mac II's but not on Mac Plus's.
>On a Mac Plus, no disk image comes out.....as if no drive is connected.

>Does anyone have a fix for this?

>I've received the ff. suggestions:
>a) my EPROM's are dumb and I might need an upgrade.
>b) Mac Plus'es do not provide internal termination, so I need
>   a resistor pack in addition to a SCSI terminator.

Let me add
 c) you have a termination-power problem; the Plus and the rest of the
 Mac line are at odds about who provides power to the SCSI bus.  Cure: I
 know not.
 d) you have the old UNIT ATTENTION (why did I first write UNIX
 ATTENTION?  Is it genetic, or curable?) problem of older Mac Plus
 ROMs.  This is cured by hacking pin 40 of your SCSI cable, or booting
 off floppy and then mounting the drive.
 e) the SCSI gremlins don't like your cabling.  How long is it, if
 that's not too personal a question :-)?

>Does anyone have Seagate's phone #?

800 directory assistance does, like almost every company with 800 tech.
support.  Good luck: they don't provide very general support, often.

>	Please respond directly by e-mail.  I seldom read this news group.

Tough noogies: it appears to be my turn in the barrel to answer general
net questions, so I'm answering by news.  (This is a nefarious plot to
get other, more esoteric questions answered when I need to--or is it
just good netiquette?  Me, good netiquette?  Hah!)

	Hope this helps,
		Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others