[net.columbia] The Mortal Chariot 'Challenger'

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (02/03/86)

  Discussions here at the WELL in the Space conference have brought up
the beautiful idea that we should memorialize the Challenger Seven with
a simple placque.... on board the Space Station.

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/08/86)

In article <595@well.UUCP> rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) writes:

>  Discussions here at the WELL in the Space conference have brought up
>the beautiful idea that we should memorialize the Challenger Seven with
>a simple placque.... on board the Space Station.

I LIKE IT!!!  I LIKE IT!!!
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) (03/03/86)

In article <1008@burl.UUCP> rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>In article <595@well.UUCP> rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) writes:
>>
>>  Discussions here at the WELL in the Space conference have brought up
>>the beautiful idea that we should memorialize the Challenger Seven with
>>a simple placque.... on board the Space Station.
>
>I LIKE IT!!!  I LIKE IT!!!

While reading this group these days, it seems that Reagan will not abandon
the space station, but will press for a speeded-up schedule, when the
contractors and NASA get the STS re-certified.  If (or when) they do, one
point comes to mind.  There has been much conversation about what to name
a new orbiter, if one is built.  My question, is what are we going to call
the space station?  The movies do not provide anything sufficently eloquent,
and my belief in the future expansion of man into space *needs* something
poetic so there is more political "push" for using the station for human
needs, and not military needs.
--
May the farce be with you.
J.R. Stoner, Esq. CompuPro/VIASYN Corporation, Hayward, CA

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (03/09/86)

In article <101@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:
>a new orbiter, if one is built.  My question, is what are we going to call
>the space station?  The movies do not provide anything sufficently eloquent,
>and my belief in the future expansion of man into space *needs* something
>poetic so there is more political "push" for using the station for human
>needs, and not military needs.

OK, let's not have another couple of hundred messages on this one like
we had on the name of the next shuttle.  Send your votes for the name
of the space station to me at the address below and I'll summarize.

I'll even be fair and not tell you my vote (yet).

Remember, send me your votes VIA MAIL, and thanks!