[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MacAvenue hard drives?

cammanly@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Kenneth Manly) (11/21/90)

Does anyone have any experience with mail-order
hard drives from MacAvenue?

Ken Manly         cammanly@ubvms.bitnet      cammanly@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

hankin@sauron.osf.org (Scott Hankin) (11/28/90)

cammanly@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Kenneth Manly) writes:

>Does anyone have any experience with mail-order
>hard drives from MacAvenue?

>Ken Manly         cammanly@ubvms.bitnet      cammanly@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

    I bought one about 3 months ago to replace my ailing Mac+ internal
    Micahdrive.  I decided on the Quantum 105 external, keeping an eye
    towards future needs, and thinking I wouldn't be using my Mac+ forever.

    The thing is built like a brick.  It's fairly small, and much quieter
    than other drives I've encountered.  It has external SCSI terminators, a
    push-button drive ID, and a rocker-style power switch.  There is a tiny
    light on the front which is orange when the power is on, and turns green
    when the drive is accessed.  The fan is quiet and appears to be
    adequate.

    There are a lot of drives out there which look and feel like the sellers
    took a hard disk and threw it in a box with a power supply.  This drive,
    however, looks like it was well designed thoughout.  The feel of quality
    is there.  Everythings seems sturdier than it needs to be.

    It came with the latest system software installed, and OnLocation was
    included for free.  OnLocation turns out to be pretty handy for finding
    stuff when I program in Think C - it's lots faster than Think's search
    facility.  It also comes with formatting and partitioning software as
    well, but it arrived formatted, and I never could figure out the reasons
    in favor of partitioning, so I can't comment on either of those.

    I would recommend the MacAvenue drives without hesitation.

    - Scott
    Scott Hankin (hankin@osf.org) | "You're not entirely committed to sanity,
    Open Software Foundation	  |  are you?"

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (11/29/90)

In article <hankin.659741199@sauron>, hankin@sauron.osf.org (Scott Hankin) writes:
|> cammanly@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Kenneth Manly) writes:
|>
|> >Does anyone have any experience with mail-order
|> >hard drives from MacAvenue?
|>
|> >Ken Manly         cammanly@ubvms.bitnet      cammanly@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
[description of why it's great]
>     I would recommend the MacAvenue drives without hesitation.

If you mean the Protege, which they put together themsleves, I was very
interested in this drive. It is only about 10% more expensive than
a generic Quantum, and more portable than most. The reason I didn't go for
it only runs on 110V. This is a major omission in a portable drive.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu