[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ROM startup disk

gd1a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Glen M. Devries) (11/30/90)

I know the ROM startup disk is in the ROMs for the Classic and LC, and I
thought that the IIsi shared the same ROM chips with the other two
models, however upon trying to boot up while holding down cmd-opt-X-O my
si still booted off the internal hard disk.  Though I have no desire to
run my machine as a diskless workstation, it would be nice to be able to
boot off ROM to edit finder resources, delete offending INITs, etc.

Any info would be appreciated.
				-Glen

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (11/30/90)

In article <UbJMBsW00Vpa8NmkUv@andrew.cmu.edu>, gd1a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Glen M. Devries) writes:
> I know the ROM startup disk is in the ROMs for the Classic and LC, and I
> thought that the IIsi shared the same ROM chips with the other two
> models, however upon trying to boot up while holding down cmd-opt-X-O my
> si still booted off the internal hard disk.  Though I have no desire to
> run my machine as a diskless workstation, it would be nice to be able to
> boot off ROM to edit finder resources, delete offending INITs, etc.
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
> 				-Glen

I don't think that there's a startup disk in the ROM of the LC. The ROMs in all
the new machines are 512k. The Classic ROM doesn't need to have color support
in it, so they can put in a 358k ROM disk (which, with only one font and System
6.0.3 seems a bit useless...) along with the standard Mac operating
information. The IIsi and the LC have 32bit QuickDraw in ROM, plus, I believe,
the sound stuff (don't know about that for sure.) Regardless, there isn't room
in the color machines for a ROM disk.

Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST