[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MacIIfx vs. CD-ROM

Michael_J_Ward@cup.portal.com (11/21/90)

My fx at work is now functional and I wonder about bringing in my apple
cd-rom drive. Has Apple made any progress in fixing the incompatibilities?

BTW (although this is software, not hardware), Closeview caused system 6.0.5
to hang completely. C'mon team, this is absurd. I had to pull it back out of
the system. It does not make sense to include files on the distribution disk
that cause OS crashes...

lengge@chx400.switch.ch (Thomas Lenggenhager) (11/22/90)

In article <36122@cup.portal.com> Michael_J_Ward@cup.portal.com writes:
>My fx at work is now functional and I wonder about bringing in my apple
>cd-rom drive. Has Apple made any progress in fixing the incompatibilities?
>
>BTW (although this is software, not hardware), Closeview caused system 6.0.5
>to hang completely. C'mon team, this is absurd. I had to pull it back out of
>the system. It does not make sense to include files on the distribution disk
>that cause OS crashes...

I haven't followed this discussion from the beginning. However I first had
troubles getting my Apple CD ROM drive running on my Mac IIfx with System
6.0.5 and CD ROM Installer 3.0.1. Finally I solved the problem by using a
short SCSI cable instead of the longer one I used in the beginning.

The same longer cable didn't gave any problems when I connected either the
HP ScanJet or the Bernoulli drive to the IIfx.

I didn't have any further look into that problem why the CD ROM behaved
differently since my problem was solved.

Thomas

     Thomas Lenggenhager, SWITCH, ETH-Zentrum, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
          INET: lenggenhager@verw.switch.ch  | Tel: +41-1-261'8178
          UUCP: ..!mcsun!chx400!lenggenhager | Fax: +41-1-261'8133

housen@ssc-vax (Kevin Housen) (11/29/90)

In article <36122@cup.portal.com> Michael_J_Ward@cup.portal.com writes:
>My fx at work is now functional and I wonder about bringing in my apple
>cd-rom drive. Has Apple made any progress in fixing the incompatibilities?

What incompatibilities are you referring to?  I have been using an
FX with Apples CD ROM for a few months now with now problems...

Kevin Housen

kunau@cray.com (Timothy Kunau) (12/01/90)

In article <3537@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, housen@ssc-vax (Kevin Housen) writes:
|> In article <36122@cup.portal.com> Michael_J_Ward@cup.portal.com writes:
|> >My fx at work is now functional and I wonder about bringing in my apple
|> >cd-rom drive. Has Apple made any progress in fixing the incompatibilities?
|> >

|> What incompatibilities are you referring to?  I have been using an
|> FX with Apples CD ROM for a few months now with now problems...
|>
|> Kevin Housen

No incompatibilities here either. What is this guy talking about?
Could you explain your configuration a bit more precisely?

Timothy M. Kunau