[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What size intern HD in a MacII with 40MB already?

murphy@hao.hao.ucar.edu (Graham Murphy) (11/30/90)

I have a stock standard MacII with the stock standard 40MB internal
hard disk. I am thinking of getting another internal HD. Could someone
tell me which drives will fit inside with the present drive? (I'd
like to buy a 105MB). Or alternatively, what are the relevant
hardware limitations that apply?

Also, does anyone know of any reviews of internal drives? (MacUser
has recently confined itself to externals, and I haven't checked
MacWorld yet).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Graham Murphy

High Altitude Observatory
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000. Ph:(303)497-1565; Fax:(303)497-1137.
INTERNET: murphy@hao.UCAR.EDU; Solar PO: GMurphy@SOLAR

In article <9347@ncar.ucar.edu> murphy@hao.hao.ucar.edu (Graham Murphy) writes:

>I have a stock standard MacII with the stock standard 40MB internal
>hard disk. I am thinking of getting another internal HD. Could someone
>tell me which drives will fit inside with the present drive? (I'd
>like to buy a 105MB). Or alternatively, what are the relevant
>hardware limitations that apply?

Any 3.5" half height will fit-- nothing else will, without special brackets
(there are brackets that let you mount one 5.25 full height or 2 half heights,
but it is probably better to get a 3.5 and put it in the left floppy area)
I like the Quantum Prodirve 105 myself-- it's fairly fast, and ultra-quiet

wilde@tigger.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (12/03/90)

While we're on the subject, anybody know where to get brackets to
mount either or 3.5 or 5.25 inch drive in a Mac II ? Just the mounting
hardware - not the drive itself.

Thanx - Nick

Nick Wilde                                           wilde@boulder.colorado.edu