[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple CD-ROM: intermittently mountable; also, how to put on server?

majors@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Majors) (11/30/90)

I just  received an Apple CD-ROM player, and have installed the script,
and the controller DA.  I am having trouble in having the volume mount
(sometimes it is there, and at other times when I insert the disc, the
yellow access light only illuminates briefly, seeming to indicate that
it doesn't want to mount).  After restarting the Mac, I have better luck.
Any suggestions?

Also, if I put the CD-ROM player on the server machine, and install the
script, shouldn't it be a 'seeable' volume?  (I've had trouble here,
despite installing the script on the client).

^ Robert Majors          \ University of Washington  Language Learning Center v
^ majors@u.washington.edu \ tel 206-543-0536  snail: DH-40, Seattle, WA 98195 v
^<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/04/90)

majors@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Majors) writes:

>I just  received an Apple CD-ROM player, and have installed the script,
>and the controller DA.  I am having trouble in having the volume mount

There is a well known problem with Apple CD-ROM drives caused by
dust getting in and obscuring the lens.  The cure was a cleanout
with compressed air (by and Apple Tech) and diconnecting the fan.

All in all, if you machine is brand new, get thee to a dealer.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =