[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Quibbling about new macs

josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.210449.3362@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
|> In article <109561@convex.convex.com> woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) writes:
|> >	Apple GROSSLY underpowered the power supply and has been the
|> >cause of a lot of 'accidents' with adding peripherals and third party
|> >items that draw too much power.
|>
|> 	OK, I've heard enough about this.
|>
|> 	The point to all this is - has anyone considered the
|> possibility of beefing up the IIsi's power supply?  Can any hardware
|> person out there tell me that it's either impossible or not feasible
|> or horribly expensive to do this?

You know, it's the same old story. People like the price of the new Mac IIsi,
and IMHO it's a great machine for the price.
But people are criticizing the machine for:
     a. not enough power supply (see above references)
     b. not having the same 25MHz speed as the Mac IIci
     c. for having a "new" slot -- the funky PDS instead of a NuBus
     d. for not having a CPU ($249 option)
     e. for not having enough slots
     f. for having weird video configuration
     g. for taking smaller drives (1/3 height)
Now, I ask, if you got all these things in a Mac IIsi, what would you have?
Namely, a Macintosh IIci.
And naturally a bigger price (a la Mac IIci)
So stop quibbling. That's what you get for asking for a cheap Mac II.

--
mwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmw
 \                     \     MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY    \

sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) (12/01/90)

Back to the SUBJECT PLEASE!

WHO MAKES 1/3-HEIGHT DRIVES????????    HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Scott.

Bill_W_Michling@cup.portal.com (12/01/90)

Check out MicroNet, they have hard drives for all of the new Macs.
Hope this helps......

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/02/90)

josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) writes:
>You know, it's the same old story. People like the price of the new Mac IIsi,
>and IMHO it's a great machine for the price.
>But people are criticizing the machine for:
>     a. not enough power supply (see above references)
>     b. not having the same 25MHz speed as the Mac IIci
>     c. for having a "new" slot -- the funky PDS instead of a NuBus
>     d. for not having a CPU ($249 option)
                          ^^^

  If this were the case, not only would it be brain-damaged, it would
also be "brain-missing" :-) :-)  [sorry for wasting bandwidth]

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"She's got a tongue like an electric eel, and she likes the taste of a
 man's tonsils!"  - Rik Flashheart

josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.000711.27518@Neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) writes:
>josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) writes:
>>You know, it's the same old story. People like the price of the new Mac IIsi,
>>and IMHO it's a great machine for the price.
>>But people are criticizing the machine for:
>>     d. for not having a CPU ($249 option)
>                          ^^^
>
>  If this were the case, not only would it be brain-damaged, it would
>also be "brain-missing" :-) :-)  [sorry for wasting bandwidth]

Alas, Evan, you are right. Of course, I meant to say FPU and not CPU.
Thanks for pointing out the mistake!
And sorry for the oversight.
Josh

--

tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec1.015257.4891@athena.mit.edu> josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) writes:
>But people are criticizing the machine for:
>     a. not enough power supply (see above references)
>     b. not having the same 25MHz speed as the Mac IIci
>     c. for having a "new" slot -- the funky PDS instead of a NuBus
>     d. for not having a CPU ($249 option)

	Well, you know if someone tried to sell me a computer without a
CPU I'd criticise them. :-) Now an MMU I would call an option.

	Tony
get
stuffed
inews

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk

		If a man among you got no sin upon his hand
	    Let him cast a stone at me for playing in the band.

woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) (12/04/90)

In article <9889@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) writes:

>Back to the SUBJECT PLEASE!
>
>WHO MAKES 1/3-HEIGHT DRIVES????????    HELP!!!!!!!!!!
>

>Scott.

Sorry,  Conner supplies both 40 and I think now an 80.  Quantum is now
shipping 80's and 105's and I believe that also have a 40.  Rumor also
has it that Quantum will have a 170 and 210 soon.  The Quantum's are
kinda cute - in a HD sort of way.  The Conners have been used for quite
some time in the Mac Portable.  Both vendors produce good drives that
will work quite nicely.

Blacksheep
Senior Systems Engineer

--
Darrin R. Woods						woods@convex.com

This is a guest account. Convex knows nothing about what I'm saying, or
even that I'm saying it.

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (12/06/90)

In article <109796@convex.convex.com> woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods)
writes:
> In article <9889@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU
(Scott Burke) writes:

> >Back to the SUBJECT PLEASE!
> >
> >WHO MAKES 1/3-HEIGHT DRIVES????????    HELP!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Sorry,  Conner supplies both 40 and I think now an 80.

What is the size of the Conner 510MB (list $1295) that was discussed here
recently?

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000